• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny temps

Somewhere between 120-180. dependig on driving, will end up being somewhere around engine coolant temp.

Most of the winter months i got between 100-120. When i was plowing on the other hand in moderate temps (30+) my trans temp went up over 160 easily, just driving. It was kind of a shock to me because i never saw it go up over 120 before.

Usually 150 on average, playing race car ive seen it just under 200*.

Our 02 sits at 200 constantly but the tranny is going out. Its gotten as high as 230*.

In the winter I rarely get the gauge to move because I dont drive far enough.

if you have the allsion, you should have one, unless your cluster was swapped out.

I think the cluster was swapped out by previous owner. The other day I JUST figured out the 5th gear lockout thingy and noticed the light didn't come on when I locked it out... figured bulb was blown. I took the cluster out and peeked inside and noticed there wasn't a light there at all( even though I have the lockout symbol)...cluster has no tranny temp and no red line. I don't feel like looking now but I think it goes up to 9000rpm if that matters, and guess what... on the back of the cluster there is a big white sticker that says something like "re-manufactured by delphi" or something like that. IIRC wasn't there a recall on instrument clusters? vin check showed nothing about it being replaced... independent shop did it I guess. Oh, well

I think the cluster was swapped out by previous owner. The other day I JUST figured out the 5th gear lockout thingy and noticed the light didn't come on when I locked it out... figured bulb was blown. I took the cluster out and peeked inside and noticed there wasn't a light there at all( even though I have the lockout symbol)...cluster has no tranny temp and no red line. I don't feel like looking now but I think it goes up to 9000rpm if that matters, and guess what... on the back of the cluster there is a big white sticker that says something like "re-manufactured by delphi" or something like that. IIRC wasn't there a recall on instrument clusters? vin check showed nothing about it being replaced... independent shop did it I guess. Oh, well

I would say you have a gasser cluster...:mad:

It sounds like you have a cluster out of a half ton. If i remember correctly all the 2500hd clusters have trans temp guages.

Except those with manual trannies. All HD autos, Allison or not have one.

Too bad the VIN check doesnt show who did it.

Unfortuneatly your stuck with a half ton Duramax, well from the inside at least.

Except those with manual trannies. All HD autos, Allison or not have one.

Too bad the VIN check doesnt show who did it.

Unfortuneatly your stuck with a half ton Duramax, well from the inside at least.

Yeah. what he said.:bump:

Hottest I got it up was 180F, that's when I'm doing boosted 4 by launches trying to get some 1/4 0r 0-60 times...;)

I primarily use my truck to haul a Lance camper and tow my boat. Loaded out ready to go for a week trip with me and my gal in the truck the whole rig including the boat weighed 17,900lbs. I recently put on 265's and my tranny temps have gone up. I just pulled the same grade coming back from the Colorado river that I pulled with the stock 215's. With the 215's when cresting the grade the tranny was setting on the last mark before 200, or about 188*. With the 265's it was right at 210*. The only difference was the outside temp , 107* with the 215's and 90* with the 265's. I have no idea how hot the tranny would have gotten if the outside temp was 107* with the 265's. I might add that I have the larger and more effiecient MikeL/Inglewood Transmission tranny cooler. With the stock 215's I ran 150-180. With the 265's 165-180 and it gets there much quicker........The tranny cooler does cool it off quickly when I'm not pulling hard.......

Moral of the story....Look for higher temps with bigger tires:)

avg runs about 180-200 for me. thats in vegas temperatures though. i did get it up to 250 once haulin a gooseneck with ~30k lbs of track hoe out of palm desert once. i dont even wanna know what the egt's were on that one. :D ....

I've had mine close to 190 but as was stated, during the winter and when it's below zero I've had it only get up to 90 with the grille cover.

Highest ever was 180* at 95 OAT and pulling double loaded hay racks up a long hill. Mostly 100-120 max in winter and 140-160 ave summer.
Man I'd be bummed without the trans temp gauge. That's one of the things I don't like about the GMT900s. You have to look in the DIC for the temp.

Back