• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny Swap 4L80E to NV4500 6.5

Kmitchener

Reaction score
i currently have the 4l80e behind a 6.5 turbo, 4x4. Ive been doing some reading and it seems the transmission i need is the NV4500 5 speed, anyone have any input as this will bolt directly on my transfer case, and with same driveshafts? This is a 95 Suburban. Never seen a suburban with a stick so i decided I may try it if I can find the right info. If anyone has done a 4l80e swap to a nv4500 I would love to know a few things, flywheel clutch combos, and compatability.

I swapped my 700R4 for a NV4500 over a year ago. It wasn't difficult by any means. In your case, the 4L80E is longer than a NV4500 so you will need driveshafts, however the NV4500 is the same length as a 700R4 or 4L60R so you could easily pick up a set from a 1/2ton or light 3/4ton suburban that are the correct length. The transfercase you currently have will work with the NV4500 since you have a 4L80E which is also a 32 splined output. Being yours is a 95, I'm not sure what wiring/computer portions will have to change, but I do know you will have to have it flashed for a manual since the 4L80E is electronically controlled. In my case, being an 88 with a 700R4, the truck didn't even know I swapped transmissions.

Here is my build thread on TTS. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?17875-88GMCtruck-s-NV4500-Swap

Well, I know the upper support is similar, but the problem is the slaves and the mounting in the firewall are different. The older trucks use a round hole and diagonal bolt pattern, while newer ones are a square hole and horizontal pattern. Now, if you doing a swap, I think you could get away with using either, as long as the slave hooks up to the pedal still.

88-94
040901TC00-016.gif

95-00
030930TC00-025.gif

Back