• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tranny slipping at low rpm's

lmm.l

Reaction score
I think I need to upgrade my 6 speed with something that will give it better holding power. I was pulling my trailer (about 5-6000 lbs) last weekend and on some inclines I could feel the transmission slipping at lower rpm's and my Edge Insight gauge showed TCC slippage. When I would shift down and increase rpm it wouldn't slip (line pressure increased?). What upgrade do you suggest I want to run fairly high hp eventually but cant afford a complete rebuild at this point so what can I do with the stock clutches but still get good holding power. Thanks for your help. 6k miles on truck.

Well you can go with a transgo jr. and a decent tq converter for now. It won't be bulletproof but it should be alot better than it is now.

if your already slipping the clutches and t/c you ought to just turn down the edge and save your pennies. to do a t/c you have to remove the trans. might as well do it all at once, unless you like to pay for work twice. save you money and get the s/c kit. you'll be happy.

if your already slipping the clutches and t/c you ought to just turn down the edge and save your pennies. to do a t/c you have to remove the trans. might as well do it all at once, unless you like to pay for work twice. save you money and get the s/c kit. you'll be happy.

X2.......

Thanks guys, I was just hoping to find an easier solution, the truck doesn't even have 7000 miles on it yet. I will definately be changing EFI Live tunes this one obviously has to much torque. I built it off of Nick's website LMM tow tune tutorial and man does it tow but I guess the tranny can't handle it. Thanks again for the help.
I tried to get ahold of Champion transmission on this site but no reply to the pm yet and his website is down. Anyone know how to get ahold of him or any other good transmission parts vendor?

I tried to get ahold of Champion transmission on this site but no reply to the pm yet and his website is down. Anyone know how to get ahold of him or any other good transmission parts vendor?

Try giving Mat a call at his shop 203-931-6178 he is always willing to help out.

Thanks guys, I was just hoping to find an easier solution, the truck doesn't even have 7000 miles on it yet. I will definately be changing EFI Live tunes this one obviously has to much torque. I built it off of Nick's website LMM tow tune tutorial and man does it tow but I guess the tranny can't handle it. Thanks again for the help.

Give us a call. We can get anything you need for your allison. :beer:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. How do you determine what is slipping, on a trip this weekend under full throttle the TCC Slip would go up form 0 (Lock) even empty NO trailer. Is it the torque converter (TCC torque converter clutch) or the clutch plates or is there any way to even tell? It still hasn't shown any codes so it musn't be slipping to much????.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. How do you determine what is slipping, on a trip this weekend under full throttle the TCC Slip would go up form 0 (Lock) even empty NO trailer. Is it the torque converter (TCC torque converter clutch) or the clutch plates or is there any way to even tell? It still hasn't shown any codes so it musn't be slipping to much????.

How big of a tune are you running?

Wow, im suprised it only lasted 6k. But i guess pulling heavy with a big(er) tune will kill it pretty quick. has it gone into limp mode yet?

p.s. never pay $8000 for a new trans, it can be built so so much cheaper. ;)

Are you 100% sure the tranny is slipping? Could it be the tune? Ive had tunes that felt like convertor slip, especially at higher speeds with light throttle, like cruising at 85mph.....

Before tranny work, I would rule out other things. Change tunes or put in stock tune for a day or two. How does tranny shift in Tow/Haul?

It should be clutch slippage. But it may be just the slippage between the turbine speed sensor and the vehicle speed sensor which includes both convertor and clutch slip.

In lower gears there is increased line pressure. Not sure on teh 6spds but on 5spds there is only 86psi in 5th gear. To put that into perspective the co pilot bumps it up to 272psi.

Talk to a vendor on here. A Transgo Jr. Is just a bandaid, but its a cheap bandaid at that.

You can do your own SC IV for under 4,000. All you need is the kit, a trans jack, a few metric tools, a torque wrench, some vasiline, and some screwdrivers to work the snap rings out as well as a way to compress te C1/C2 hub.

Sleeprtrk is right 8,000 for a tranny iss too much, but by the end of the inter I will have more than that much in mine in just parts. But It will be pretty much bulletproof.

Im working on making some write ups on tranny building. I have a couple trannies I need to build locall and one that doent need to be done ASAP so I may tear it down and take my time making a write up or video on installing an SC IV. Im currently working on how to remove your allison.

Back