• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Torque converter drain

Thanks. The older GM trans had a drain which was nice so you could get all the old fluid out. Oh well.

what he said ^^^^ ... you'd be surprised at how much crappy fluid it will remove doing it that way... ;):D

I have already drained the trans and changed the filters. I have had the trans flushed several times in 265K miles and the last time was at 247K so the fluid was really not discolored much at all. Next go round I will try the flush like you all are talking about.

I had an 86 suburban that had one and my 94 Chev p/u as well. I didn't put them in so they had to be factory.

I am likely older that you.:conehead::peace:

I had an 86 suburban that had one and my 94 Chev p/u as well. I didn't put them in so they had to be factory.

I am likely older that you.:conehead::peace:

Someone else put them there as GM did not. My shop was a GM warranty station for 15 years and I had intimate conversations with GM engineers about this very thing. When GM went to the solid converter instead of the split converter they also went to full mainline pressure in the converter, ( other manuf. dont ) they felt a plug could become a hazard.

Like Mike said, those drain plugs were not factory.
I have yet to seen an aftermarket converter rebuilder install a drain plug either.
I'm not that old though.

Back