• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time for a new phone

Bernie

Amateur Radio Operator - KJ4VOV
Reaction score
So, I've been looking at getting a new phone... The one I've decided on is the Motorola Photon Q, but if I get it I have to upgrade our cell plan. That's not really a problem since even though the plan is twice what our current plan costs, we won't need most of the extras that we're paying for now, so the actual difference in cost is about $25mo. The problem is who to buy the phone from. If I buy it from my cell company (Sprint), it'll cost me $199.99 (call it $200). Looking around online I saw that newegg.com is an authorized Sprint dealer and I could get it through them for $149.99, saving $50 (free overnight shipping too). But, there's some things the wife and I need to keep on our current plan, like international dialing on her phone and insurance covering full replacement on both phones no matter what ($8mo and no worries is a bargain to me) and I can't tell if they're going to be carried over to the new plan or not. They should be (they were when I bought her a new phone for her birthday, but I did that direct from Sprint and didn't have to change the plan at all) but I can't be certain. For that reason, and that reason alone, I was ready to pay the extra $50 and do it all through my local Sprint store, so I could be sure everything was set up the way it needs to be.

Then newegg.com dropped the price another $20. Now I can get the phone for $129.99 (Sprint still has it for $199.99) and I'm wondering if I should. Saving that $70 would mean I could get a nice Otterbox case for it and a docking station to interface it with my laptop and it would still be under the $200 we budgeted for buying the phone.

What to do, what to do?

Got it for $99.99 from Amazon Wireless. It shipped just about an hour ago and I should have it Wednesday. :)

Yes, still Sprint. Amazon Wireless and Newegg are both authorized Sprint resellers.

Had to change my plan from a 700 minute family plan to a 1500 minute family data plan, which more than doubled the cost, but since we'd been paying $50mo extra for text and data bundles on the two phones it all worked out to be a better deal. Unlimited text and data now. :)

Photon Q.. hmmm. Gotta look into that one.

What, you didn't go camp out on the sidewalk in line to spend 400 bucks on a Iphone 5?? Jeez.. Ur sooo not like, cool, like... :D

I went with the Photon Q for one simple reason... actual keyboard. My current phone is an LG Rumor Touch, with a slide out keyboard, and I really like having that. I'm an old fart, and my hands aren't as steady as they used to be, so trying to type on a screen just does not work well for me, but using that little keyboard works great. So when I decided to upgrade to a smartphone a slide out keyboard was a "must have". The Photon Q has what some reviews called the best keyboard of any phone on the market.

Edit: Here's a link to the phone on the Motorola website. http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOROLA-PHOTON™-Q-4G-LTE/m-PHOTON-Q-4G-LTE,en_US,pd.html

Last edited:
And... UPS lost it. :mad2:

It was supposed to be delivered today, tracking info from UPS showed it on the truck and out for delivery... and it never got here. Several other UPS packages made it but that was not on the truck. Now the tracking info on the UPS site has been changed, deleting all the scans for it after it got to Richmond early this morning. Estimated delivery date is now blank.

I will check again in the morning. If it's still screwed up I'll call and cancel the order and just buy it locally.

Looks that way. They had it marked "out for delivery" again today. UPS driver delivered several other packages earlier, checked his truck twice, it ain't on his truck.

Or we might see a lot more of you if you download the Tapatalk app and are on the forum from the time you wake up till the time you shut your eyes, LOL. :lol:

Or we might see a lot more of you if you download the Tapatalk app and are on the forum from the time you wake up till the time you shut your eyes, LOL. :lol:

I thought about that, and so far I've resisted the temptation to get that particular app.

But I'm weakening... :D

Back