• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thoughts On Bypass Oil Filters

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Anyone have any Input on this?

I'm talking about the Add-on 2 Micron Filter Kits.

Thinking about putting one on the Dmax & Cummins as a "just because" kinda thing.

Are they really something that is "worth it" or is it one of those things where people Swear by them and others say they aren't needed at all?

Biggest deal is if you think you would gain anything.

Only benefit I know of is using the extended drain intervals. Most of the time my dmax on mobile delvac 5/40 can go 20k anyways.

I use amsoil dual bypass on my 95 6.5l at 25k intervals and am very happy with it, I change the oil every 9months roughly.

Source Unknown

I'd say they are worth using. You can do it very inexpensive also. I have an adapter to convert a Wix filter mount to a common thread for bypass oil filters $25

I have a fs2500 on my 6.5. I didn't install gapless rings this go round so dipstick is only moderatly cleaner looking. The oil returned from the filter looks like it came out of the bottle. Glad I did this this as I knew the idi would make as much soot as I am removing. I'm all for for using Leroy's setup for less money. It does the same thing my setup does for lots less money. The fs2500 is a really nice quality, but pricey.

I would say they are definitely worth it. Just for the less wear factor on the internals. The extended oil change intervals are just the bonus or the icing on the cake. Think of it as kidney dialysis for the oil. Gets more of the soot particles out and then returns "clean" oil to the dipstick. I also have the FS2500 and I like it very much. I also think it is overpriced. If I had to do it all over again, I would be looking at the oil centrifuge kits. No filters that you have to buy, just clean it and reinstall.

I only change my oil and filters once a year. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?35899-2012-Maintenance-Day

Cleaner oil is definitely better!

I would say they are definitely worth it. Just for the less wear factor on the internals. The extended oil change intervals are just the bonus or the icing on the cake. Think of it as kidney dialysis for the oil. Gets more of the soot particles out and then returns "clean" oil to the dipstick. I also have the FS2500 and I like it very much. I also think it is overpriced. If I had to do it all over again, I would be looking at the oil centrifuge kits. No filters that you have to buy, just clean it and reinstall.

I only change my oil and filters once a year. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?35899-2012-Maintenance-Day

Cleaner oil is definitely better!

FWIW I have about 5 or 6 Centrifuges. I made up a kit for the 6.5 and have some left in different states of completion. I'd sell just the fuge for 6.6 use or what I have for a 6.5 kit cheap.

FWIW I have about 5 or 6 Centrifuges. I made up a kit for the 6.5 and have some left in different states of completion. I'd sell just the fuge for 6.6 use or what I have for a 6.5 kit cheap.

I already have the FS2500. But let me think about it for a few. Thank you though.

It sucks they only make Centrifuge for the Duramax and not the Cummins, unless you DIY your own.

I can get you a fuge kit for the Cummins. I'd have to call for a price if your interested?

What mileage should I have the oil sent out for analysis on my 6.5? I'm thinking5 to 7500 miles. I'm at 3500 right now and the oil is visibly cleaner than it used to be without bypass. Should I change the full flow filter at some point as well before the oil change. I like what I read on centafuges, but gonna have to live with the bypass technology on the truck. Great thread!

Whatever your oil change interval is without the bypass filter, is when I would have the oil checked. If you would normally go to 7500 miles on the oil, then get it checked then. The UOA takes about a week or so to get back and see where your at. If the UOA says it needs to be changed, then do so then. If it shows that you are still good for a few more miles, then your good to go. Keep us posted. ;)

Whatever your oil change interval is without the bypass filter, is when I would have the oil checked. If you would normally go to 7500 miles on the oil, then get it checked then. The UOA takes about a week or so to get back and see where your at. If the UOA says it needs to be changed, then do so then. If it shows that you are still good for a few more miles, then your good to go. Keep us posted. ;)

Yup, what he said. Better safe than sorry when your first starting out. I don't send in a sample until 10k now but I worked my way to it.

Source Unknown

I can get you a fuge kit for the Cummins. I'd have to call for a price if your interested?

Sorry James, the kit is not available from the supplier I was thinking of. I do have just the Centrifuge head unit if you want to make your own. I also have the return line fitting that gos in the oil filler cap.

Back