• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

This Month's Issue Of Diesel Tech - DMax Build Up...

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
I got my new issue of Diesel Tech today in the mail and immediately found the new updates on their Duramax Build Up. This month they are covering the Turbo Upgrade, Trans. Build, and a modified CP3 from Industrial Injection.

While reading the Turbo section, they say they are using the PPE GT4094R Turbo to replace the Factory VVT Turbo the truck came with.

They say the Kit from PPE comes with everything you need (Turbo Pedestal, Oil Feed & Drain Lines, Longer DownPipe, and Compressor Inlet) all you need to do is get the Inlet Components to adapt your current Intake System to it.

Notice how the list above of included & required parts does not include an External Wastegate.

Is the GT4094R Turbo a VVT Turbo as well?? I'm pretty sure it's not, there is no speak of whether or not it is infact a VVT, and I know 100% you must use a wastegate on ALL Turbo's.

There are install pics and such in the article and I can't see an external 'gate anywhere.

What's the deal? How are they getting away with running that Turbo without any type of wastegate, and it not just spooling up to high hell and blowing to pieces.

With the combo of parts and that turbo. That is all the boost they got out of it. They wern't concerned with boost as much as moving air and this combo moved alot of it.

So basically the Turbo just naturally spun to 32psi on the truck?

Isn't it still REALLY risky to run a Turbo with no WasteGate though?

So that also means that technically, the Engine itself only moves enough air with the current Mods. to spin the Turbo to 32psi?

I am totally baffled by this.

Last edited:
I run 30-32PSI and run no wastegate. My old rig pushed 40 with no waste gate. Both in my ford though. 32 LBs really isn't that high for and aftermarket BB turbo

I to would have expected more out of it, but it's not all about boost pressure

Last edited:
yeah i was thinking that the pressures weren't a concern, nor the rpm. the size of the turbo and the volume of air at 32 psi is enough to make 630hp. 32psi in the stock vvt with 2.5 inch outlet, and 32 psi with the gt40 outlet i think is better than 3", are 2 completely differant amounts of air.

But what totally gets me is that with there being no WasteGate present, that the Boost pressures are still within a safe area.

So does that mean that the Engine itself is only moving enough air for the Turbo to build 32psi of Boost?

probably with some refined tuning it would make a few more psi, but 32 psi with that size turbo is plenty of air. it is not even comparable to 32 psi and the stock vvt. if anything i would put a blow off valve if you race at the track alot or use it as a pulling truck to prevent the sudden pressure spike of a quick full throttle release.

One needs to be careful when you talk about air and boost pressure. Remember that pressure is the resistance to flow through a fixed orifice or in this case an engine. So if the engine was not changed or modified the orifice size has remained the same and no turbo change is going to put more air through it unless the pressure is increased. The pressure being limited with no wastegate has been done for years so as long as the tuning is done to work with the properly sized turbo it's very safe. What your real looking for is turbine or compressor speed. If they are too high that's when $hit starts coming apart.

if anything i would put a blow off valve if you race at the track alot or use it as a pulling truck to prevent the sudden pressure spike of a quick full throttle release.
That's what I was thinking. Would probably sound pretty cool to everybody around at the end of the pull except the guy that has to pay for all the broken shit...:biggrin5:

Back