• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

thinking I need a chip

packers905

Reaction score
I got my 94 running and I am dissappointed with its power, I am going to install 3-1/2" exhaust and then get a chip, I am thinking heath but I am not sold yet anyone have any experience with these that can help me decide. It is a 94 k1500 vin s with a non egr intake.

I would try it with the stock vacuum system and see how it works with a chip.

If youre paying for the pipe then I would go 4", but 3.5" would be OK if its like half the price and short on cash, and youre running no cat and straight pipe or straight through muffler.

Should fill out your signature to say the truck configuration. You have any gauges?

I would make shure everything else is healthy first. Then 4inch exhaust then gauges,then a chip. A good functioning vacume system will out perform a turbomaster and give better fuel economy. When I said healthy I ment compression and injectors. A chip won't cure a sick engine.

so far I only have about 500 in the truck so whatever issues it has, it has. It may be down on comp and need inj I am not sure,but it aint gonna get beat too bad, no plans to tow or drive hard for very long .bottom line is its gonna get drove only about 5k miles a year so when I am in it I want a good running truck with power, I dont plan to spend money on gauges and I hope to just do the chip and exhaust and be happy with it. A customer of mine has a 2000 1ton with a heath tow program computer and exhaust and it runs well I would be happy with that I guess. The biggest thing I notice is that the trans is slow to lockup the torque conv. and that is when you really can feel the diesel pulling hard, I am thinking of just adding a switch but a chip could accomplish the same thing without a switch plus add more fuel and maybe a little advance! Is anyone running the kojo chip?

The reason I put them in the order I did is: the exhaust won't effect exhaust temp in a bad way. A chip CAN. You need to be able to moniter the exhaust temp to know when to back off. These engines will self-distruct from high exhaust temps. The only thing GM did for protection was for the ecm to monitor coolant temp and back off fuel if temp gets too high. The fault with that is by the time the coolant temp gets to that point there is melted pistons going out the exhaust pipe. Injectors are a maintaince item. They need to be replaced or rebuilt every 100,000 miles. If they are not maintained they squirt a stream instead of a mist and will melt the top of the pistons.
The stock flat panel air filter leaves a lot to be desired also. The round 97+ k47 air box-filter is much better flowing.

Back