• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The WVO project is a success! Tonight I was able to drive 51 minutes on veg oil!

svein

Reaction score
Finally - tonight was a success!

Many of you have come with a lot of good advices for me on my journey of converting my Suburban to run on WVO, and I would like to say a big thank you to you all! Tonight, it finally worked! :D

It turns out, my big hesitation-stumbeling-stalling issue came from my very own tank design. I was testing the system with very low fuel on the tank, and this caused the sub to suck air from the tank upon acceleration and uphill driving.

The ironic thing is that after my first two test runs, this was one of my thoughts, but I went down the rabbit hole with the new lift pumps, feed the beast and the thermostat swaps before actually adding more veg oil to see if it could be that simple.

Oh well, I´m choosing to be happy anyway! I´ve learned a lot, and I´m sure I won´t regret the upgrade of the lift pumps and the feed the beast mod.

The next quest will of course be to see if I can improve the feed from the tank. A sump would probably be ideal, but would make the tank much lower than the frame, so I´m thinking maybe a pipe from the front end to the middle could be a solution. Im gonna give this a good think before I make any decisions!

Yes, that would probably have been the wisest move. I am thinking that I might have to find an alternative solution though. If I were able to extend the inlet with a pipe inside the tank, I could maybe at least minimize my minimum fuel level for safe operation. Or, maybe, If I´m clever, I could manufacture a sump to slide in from the end where the inlet/outlet is today!?

Heres how the tank inside is designed, and a pic of the tank. The two outlets not in the cad is the fuel In/out ports, and they are just drilled holes with a hose barb welded on.

Congrats! Having used WVO on my last Suburban for about 5 years and 2 IP's (I drive about 60k - 80k miles a year so it was worth it), the 3 pieces of advice I would give you is to make sure the oil is dry free of encapsulated water. I achieved this by pouring 20lbs of water softening pellets in the bottom of 1st barrel where I would let it settle for at least a week and then pull the WVO off from about 6 inches above the pellets. Change your motor oil at no more than 5k miles even if you are using synthetic. Your engine probably has a lot of miles and the seals, rings, etc. can't stop the salt in the WVO from working it's way past something into the oil. Finally, I would run a good injector cleaner through your diesel system like seafoam, stanedyne, etc. That will keep the Optical sensor from getting gummed up even though you may run the diesel before shutoff.

Back