• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The limits of conventional oil.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Looks like I reached the limits of conventional oil. Likely soot is causing it to change from 15w-40 to the 50 weight reading. Overheating of the oil is also possible. I was dealing with a possible sticky t-stat and confirmed bad temp sender - both were replaced.

conventional_limits.jpg

Never heard of the vis rating going up in that short a time. I've never used conventionals other than Rotella or Delvac though. Is it normal to have oil break down that soon since you drive in an oven 8 months out of 12?

I do my oil change every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. I use rottela(cheap) on sale preferably.

WW you have convince me that if there is a way to break something you have accomplished it, all! :thumbsup:

Sounds like it could be a bad UOA report. I'd have it done again, if you still have any of the sample left. Somethings not right there.

How bad was the previous change? I have wondered before if the previous change was overdo or as bad was there a lot of left over oil in the cooler to contaminate the new oil such that it depletes the additive package quicker than it should.

Wonder if a brand change might help or have hurt with different additive package?

That is one of the draw backs to having only 8 quarts of oil in a diesel less oil to dilute the soot and crap.

I use to worry more until someone posted you don't see many wear problems with 6.5's they usually die from something else ;-) .

Back