• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

The D-Max is going back to work.....

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Well, on friday our hired man hit our well connection box with our haybine, and of the 5 wells, the one that contributes the most is currently not working. The reason we have 5 wells is that we can't find a good water Vein under our farm, and we have 5,000 hogs to take care of. On a good day in the summer, we can't get 20 GPM. So tomorrow, i have to go to our buddies, and get his 2000 gal water trailer and haul 4-6 loads of water ~30 miles round trip. Appx 16,000# of water, and another 1500# or so of trailer. Is there anything special i should do, other than use Tow/Haul (duh!)? When I'm accelerating, i put it in 4x4, to lessen the load on the Rear axle, is that a good thing to do or does it not really affect anything? When i disengage 4x4, it makes a huge clunk and a big shake, like the axle just dropped out from underneath, is that good? this is all from what i remember from last year, from what i did on my farm permit, and it was/is for farm use, so it was perfectly legal. We just had oil and trans fluid changed, so that is good to go, but i will check it in the morning. EDIT: We have a 12,000 gallon tank that I will be filling, just so you know.

i would leave it in 2wd.. as much as possible

2,000gl + 1500 trialer is ~18k

the clunk is proble the slack beign taken up in the rear springs when going form 4H to 2H..

should hurt it reguardless... wide turns are fine just nothing sharp on hard pavement

If you are goi to use 4hi I would leave it in 4hi I Would say that clunk is the front axle undr heavy load and then the rear U-joint axles and spring being slammed by huge a huge amount of force. Either leave it in 2wd or leave it in 4hi. That load won't hurt it in 2wd if my 20 year old one ton 2wd dually can handle that load in my avatar, the new trucks can handle it too.

Ok, i will turn 4x4 off when i leave the co-op, i have to use it there to get it moving, because where the tank is, it is gravel and downhill, so i have to use 4x4. I will turn it off before leaving, though.

Update: Truck has pulled it fine on and off for the last few weeks, we got a bigger hitch pin this year, so there is no jerking back and forth anymore. Nothing broken, trans hasn't gotten over 190*, motor has been right around 215*. Has been working good, not worried about it, and i am being very careful.

Back