• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

the beast is dead need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rjohns

Reaction score
94 chevy 3500 6.5 would not start, ran diagnostic got a dtc 13,17 & 18. i started by finding a problem with wiring on the shut off solenoid. cleared codes tryed to start got dtc 17 & 18 again. so i disconected op sensor first and tryed starting no luck,, cleared reconnected op and disconected crank pos. sensor tryed to start no luck not sure where to go. spray fuel in turbo it cranks, lift pump is working new. i also have a 97 gmc 3500 everything works esept main brain fried!!! was intending to move to 94 and use anything off 97 i may need. HELP!!!!!

Fill in this:

0. Describe in detail the problem you are having. Please be as descriptive as possible.
1. Does the engine crank, or 'turn over'?
1a. Does the engine start and run?
1a1. If the engine does not start - Crack injector line: do you have fuel? Yes/No
1b. Do you have a Wait To Start Light & the amount of time (seconds) lit.
1c. Ambient Condition (temperature outside indicate F or C) _____ °
1d. Engine Cranking speed (if you have an accurate tachometer).
1e. Are you experiencing stalling?
1f. If Stalling, describe (upon startup only, down the road, hit a bump etc)
1g. If Stalling, do you notice loss of dash or instruments?
-note if experiencing stalling,you must indicate PMD location in #24.

1h. Check turbo inlet and air filter for obstructions. Cone filters have lost disk and stopped air to turbo.
1i. In a no-hot start, pour a bottle of room-temp water on the injection pump. Does it start now? yes/no
1.1 Lift pump test - describe results
2. Service Engine Light while running?- on/off/intermittent
2a. Service Engine light does glow during start/cranking/bulb check: Yes/No
3. Model year
3a. Odometer reading (indicate if in miles or km)
3b. Miles on major engine components if been replaced (example Injection pump)
3c. Indicate the model number on the Injection pump (starts DS4 or DB2......)
4. Have you scanned for engine codes? (varies by pre/post 96) yes/no
5. List exact results on engine codes:
6. Air Filter condition (visual check)
7. Fuel filter condition (freshly changed/condition unknown/mileage since changed)
8. Condition of Battery terminal connections (removed, cleaned and tightened)
8a. Known condition and age of the batteries.
8b. Are batteries of differing age or are they a matched set?
8c. Condition of Major Grounds. (same drill as batt - removed, cleaned, retightened)
9. Upon cold start, does the radiator hose get hard quickly? Yes/no
10. Upon cold start, do you have excessive white smoke? Yes/no
11. Do you have excessive cranking time before the engine starts?
12. Have you used the block heater, and does this effect engine starting?(only try for starting problems)
13. During hard acceleration, do you have excessive black smoke? Yes/no
14. Do you have any unusual exhaust smoke issues?
15. Turbo check out - pass/fail
16. Do you have an EGR on the engine? (An F or an S engine code 8th VIN digit)
17. Indicate if you know if it’s a 1500, 2500, 2500HD, 3500, 3500HD.
18. Indicate fuel that you are using: Bio-diesel, #2 Diesel, #1Diesel, SVO/WVO, other
18a. If running a VO (Veggie Oil fuel) setup, indicate details of your conversion (homemade, or packaged system)
19. Are you using any fuel additives? If so, please list.
20. Please indicate geographic region you are in: (example: Texas or Canada)
21. Do you have any service history available that might pertain to the problem you are having?
22. Please indicate any modifications to the vehicle that might help us diagnose better.
23. Upon unscrewing the fuel cap, do you have a large vacuum formed in the tank? yes/no
24. Location of PMD/FSD? On the pump/remoted over intake/remoted out of engine bay (please specify placement specifically)
24a. If remote mounted, describe wiring harness (homemade or purchased from a vendor?)
24b. Indicate the location and condition of the FSD/IP grounding wire.
25. Are ALL glow plugs in proper working order as per this thread?

94 6.5 truck turns over but will not crank.
3-4 sec. for wait light,
70 degree f,
plenty crank amps and speed, two new charged 900 ca battery's,
starter new three weeks old came off my 97 6.5,
no obstruction in air box or turbo,
195,000 miles,
injection pump supposes to be changed, new parts on it seems to indicate.
ds4 pump
cleared codes then turned engine over, scanned again got #17 & #18
fuel filter new, lift pump two weeks off of 97 6.5,
i will remove grounds clean and reattach tomorrow am,
also will check Vin and erg info tomorrow am,
94 Chevy 6.5 3500 dually
has off road from previous owner truck ran then sat, i removed starter, turbo sensor, till i paid the 800.00 off then we brought it home took two mouths. put parts back on and it would not start.
pmd mounted on pump, unplugged and used 97 pmd/fsd no luck, grounded to pump.

it turns over, lift pump pumps up into filter, prime it good then check to see if fuel getting to ds4 by removing shut off solenoid, fuel pumps out at same volume as filter, uncap fuel line at injector check while cranking and have fuel but concern not enough presser ( unsure ). spray 70/30 diesel to gas and it cranks as long as i can feed it. think pump but know it ran and pump seems new, also don't understand code #17 & #18 also lift pump was straight wired, try ed it the right way and will not work which means oil pump sensor must be bad. please guys help i have try ed every trouble shutting sequence i can think of.

Do you have fuel at the injectors if you crack the lines while cranking? You have fuel coming out of the FSO sol. but is it allowing fuel by? Leo

Yes I have fuel coming out, but no real pressure. I also want to find out why I'm getting code 17; high resolution circuit fault & 18; pump cam reference pulse error?
I wasn't getting it before.

You need to check the wiring on the IP - there may be burnt/chafed wires from the optic sensor.

Do you have a filter harness on the OS harness? If so, take it out.

Both of these codes are relating to the OS. Disconnect the OS and try starting the truck. It may take upwards of 15 seconds of cranking the engine over before it starts to catch and fire up....

Back