• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tekonsha Recommendations

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question 1: Should an Envoy be enough of a controller for my 1991 half ton pulling a 7K (2) 3500 lb axle one brake axle open car trailer?(that will be loaded to about 5K)

Question 2: what does everyone recommend for a controller for my 95 C3500HD? i will plan to be pulling a 14K 2 brake axle PJ Deckover (loaded to around 10-12K)

Question 3: should a Voyager be enough for the same trailer (in question 2) behind dad's 98?

(the reason for the word choice on Questions 1 & 3 is because we have already bought them!:rolleyes5: And i'm having my doubts.:D:eek:ut:)

I think i can answer question one. I have the envoy (came with the truck) and have pulled 12-13k and it didnt have a problem what so ever so i would you are safe on that. However i do want to upgrade to the prodigy just to know that i am getting one of the best controllers out there.

The prodigy is IMO is the best electric controller on the market. Sure others will do the job but If I was going to spend the money it would be on a prodigy

The prodigy is IMO is the best electric controller on the market. Sure others will do the job but If I was going to spend the money it would be on a prodigy

Actually the Tekonsha P3 (http://www.tekonsha.com/p3.html) brake controller is their "Flagship" now. It's even more advanced than their Prodigy. Designed to work with regular electric brakes as well as with Electric over Hydraulic trailer brakes and has much more improved diagnostics.

Thanks for the responses.

So is the general concensus is that the already purchased controllers (Envoy & Voyager) will work fine in the gassers, but for the Big C3500HD i should probably go with a Prodigy or a P3?

Also, is there a substantial difference in price between P3 and Prodigy?

I'll agree with GM Guy, I'd use what I have. You can check the company websites and they will tell you how many axles each model is good for. I now use GM's integrated controller but have used prodigy in the past and loved it. Guys useing the new P3 are telling me it's very nice but are not seeing the difference in money.

I've had a number of others and am really sold on the P3. I wouldn't go any other way now. And you can find them fairly cheap (~$125) in comparison to many other not so good models

P3 works great on any size trailer. It is easy to adjust and is as smooth as they get.

The P3 is basically just an upgraded Prodigy with a much better display and a few more options. I think the better display is well worth the few extra bucks.

OK, i went to the site, and according to it, the ones i have now are good for the application, just not as fancy. (plus they are already bought, so i really don't want to upgrade)

I feel that the 3500HD will probably get the P3, just because it's my new money pit. (and i want it to tow safely:thumbsup:, sometimes overkill is allright!)

Yeah, we have the prodigy, but my only problem with it is that where it was mounted, it hits my shin while driving. But it works fine, we don't need any of the fancy stuff, but it works fine for what we use it for.

Back