• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Synthetic Vs. Conventional

merlin5577

Diesel > Gasoline
Reaction score
Ok, we have all heard the talk about Synthetics causing leaks in older vehicles. I personally have never experienced this but was wondering if any 6.2L owners had. I changed over to Synthetic everything in my 97' at 100K and have never had a problem, and my Silverado has had Synthetics since it was new, so if I change to synthetics in the 6.2, I dont beleive I will have any problems but.......... always best to ask.

ANY advice, input or personal experience stories are appreciated.

Thanks!

I have never had synthetics cause leaks. My stupidity while working on vehicles and my lead filled right foot on the far right pedal has caused leaks and holes were they are not suppose to be.

Synthetic oils do not 'cause leaks', but they can reveal them. What can happen is this:

When an engine with degraded gaskets/seals has sludge/deposits built up, any faults in the sealing surfaces which cause leaks can be slowed and even sometimes stopped by the gunk in the lubricating system. It acts kind of like Bars Leak.

Then when synthetic oil with a robust dispersant/detergent package is used, it will 'scrub' the deposits off of the engine internals. This will now allow any degraded sealing surfaces to leak.

If an engine is in good repair and has been well maintained, switching to synthetic lubricants will not be an issue.

I personally think synthetic oils in our 6.2's are a waste, unless you live in the desert or the arctic. We can't run extended drain intervals due to the oil getting contaminated so fast so unless you live in extremes, tow in extremes and/or run a filter bypass setup, its pointless. Just run some good oil, IE Rotella.

I personally think synthetic oils in our 6.2's are a waste, unless you live in the desert or the arctic. We can't run extended drain intervals due to the oil getting contaminated so fast so unless you live in extremes, tow in extremes and/or run a filter bypass setup, its pointless. Just run some good oil, IE Rotella.

x2. Rotella is great oil.

Back