• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stupid electronic diesels

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
My PMD is on the way out, its on the bumper but it was a used ebay cheapo I had as an emergency spare... made it one month... then issues. Typical for my truck with PMD issues, take off and die, restart and die, make it a while and die etc. However, it will still get me from A to B, but this time, I went 120 miles and it was stumbling... sometimes not at all, sometimes HORRIBLE, like couldn't go faster than 60... then itd be ok and then up a hill or something horrible stumble and recovery as soon as foot was off the throttle... is this a possible PMD issue as well? Logically I'm thinking fuel filter, because it seems like its starving and stalling when under demand, it usually happened on hills or passing etc. My thoughts are on a combo PMD dying and a clogged fuel filter. I've ordered a new PMD from EDAM, its a Dipeco (sp?) so it should last. I also have a new fuel filter, and ill do that soon, the truck is parked for the week here at school... is there anything special to changing the filter? any procedure or anything like that?

On the fuel filter, make sure you seat it correctly before screwing the retainer ring.

Otherwise, it will pinch the seal the wrong way and you will never get a good seal.
Hence leaking fuel during run.

I could feel and here mine running too but it was bad. I found out when I changed my fuel filter. I couldn't get any fuel to come out of the bleed valve on top the filter. Just crack the valve open and have someone turn on the key, it should squirt out like ole faithful. If it doesn't or just kinda dribbles, it's definatly bad.

thanks, when i change my filter I'll deff. check to see if the LP is providing a good amount of fuel.

On that note, when I install my FRB-5, I think it is going to be on the upstream side of the stock filter, ie, post filter pre IP... will this still work the the stock filter unit? The reason I'm doing this is that it makes life easier for the veg. system.

I don't know that pump very well but most pumps are made to push and not pull. I burned up a brand new pump by puting it on the side of the inner fender in a older truck. It didn't like having to pull the fuel that far. It got real hot.

I think it needs to be closer to the tank. But I don't know about that fuel pump personally.

that is a good point, something to consider at least. I know the FRB-5 is a very rugged pump, but it may not like to pull that much.

if LP out, you might check the fuel cap and see if you get a suction of air gasp. my cap sealed tank and would cause vacuum and loss of fuel pressure to IP which meant bad loss of power and hesitation.

my cap does hiss every time I fill up, not terrible, but certainly a pressure diff. I changed my fuel filter today and WOW!!! it was black, and the new one brought me a ton more power and acceleration. Didn't do any stalling, but I'm still going to install the D-tech just to be sure. Stock LP is in great condition, flows plenty of fuel.... all over the ground. oops.

I wouldn't rule out a clogged strainer in the tank. I had similar issues, eventually the truck just stopped running.
As for mounting the LP post filter, don't. You won't be able to bleed the air out when you change filters, let alone make the poor guy suck through the filter, rather than push. There a number of issues with that idea. Working under the truck isn't that bad, and you won't regret it. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Good luck!

Spoke too soon! Glad things a looking Up!

Back