• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stock turbo and Stud Rating

32 PSI is the "said" to be "safe" for a while for the turbo. The headgasket are good for about 50 psi.

My old man told me before he left this $hitty world, when in doubt, whip it out.
All jokes aside, I have heard the same thing that diesel truck said.

So is it overkill to get aftermarket studs if your not going to upgrade the turbo? I'm running a 5" MBRP Turbo Back exhaust, the 85hp predator tune and after my Transgo Jr. kit is installed, I'll run the 120hp setting more. Other plans are a fuel pump to keep up with the power? Should new studs be in my future?

So is it overkill to get aftermarket studs if your not going to upgrade the turbo? I'm running a 5" MBRP Turbo Back exhaust, the 85hp predator tune and after my Transgo Jr. kit is installed, I'll run the 120hp setting more. Other plans are a fuel pump to keep up with the power? Should new studs be in my future?

I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT HEAD STUDS TILL A BIGGER TURBO IS INSTALLED. EVEN THEN WITHOUT DUAL CP3 YOU WILL HAVE A HARD TIME BUILDING OVER 45 LBS OF BOOST. BUT OVER TIME THAT IS
HARD ON HEADGASKETS & RODS.I HOPE TO MAKE MINE LAST FOR THE SUMMER. JUST MY$0.02

JIM

You should be fine, even with the lift pump. If you go with a bigger turbo, you will have more to worry about breaking (stretching) than head bolts. As originally posted, 32 to 34 psi is the max you would want to go on the turbo and I have heard anywhere between 45 and fifty on the head bolts.

The stock head bolts are good for about 500 RwHp when tuned properly. The issue is when the head bolts are at there limit so are the rods in the motor. I would keep the factory turbo down to no more than 30 PSI if you want it to last. Some can handle more but most have trouble living at anything above 30 psi for any time.

stock pump will be plenty. once your over ~400rwhp you need a pump

Back