• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stock 6.2 aircleaner danger..

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I don't think I posted this here, atleast not that I saw so I just wanted to warn my fellow 6.2 ers that the air cleaner studs can snap from vibration work loose and get sucked into the motor. Ask me how I know this. UNfortunatley my expeeince was 10 yrs ago before digital camera were all over so no pics but it was ugly. Perfectly good motor...junk.... smashed the piston and cracked the cyl. You would never think it could get past the valve, but trust me it can. My advice is to either double nut the aircleaner or use nylon nuts. This way if the stud snaps it will just dangle and the nut can't come loose. A bit of a PIA but way easier than an engine swap.

Looks like i'm going to buy some 1/4 20 ny-lock nuts or i'm going to double nut the air cleaner. There's not much room on the studs after the J code swap so i may need to go the ny-lock route and just keep an el-cheapo wrench in the glove box.

Yeah Like I said PIA and what happended to me I'm sure is rare but how often do you remove the AC anyway right ?

too often trying to get the damn trans to shift right for the 1-2 shift. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

i hate that 700RJunk transmission!! Sooner rather than later it's getting an SM465/np208 combo, and i'm never looking back.

The 700r4 is not that bad if properly rebuilt. The earlier ones were less desired. Think it was something to do with the case but don't hold me to that. Try finding someone parting out a CUCV. They have th400s. will bolt right in.

Back