• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

steering column bearing

trashygasman

Reaction score
has anyone changed out the bearing that rattles in the upper steering column? if it's easy enough, i'd rather do it myself than mess with the dealership.

Does anybody have pictures on how to do this or the clamp installed. I do not fully understand how all this works. The clunking on the Tahoe is starting to drive me nuts.

2 inch clamp fix

Just get about a 2 inch hose clamp or muffler clamp, and undo the clamp. Wrap it around the white plastic bushing and the metal steering column (half on the plastic and half on the metal steering column) and tighten it up. Just be sure the plastic bushing is in its proper place. It only goes in one way, as it has a keyhole. I used the hose clamp. Some say the newer green bushing with needle bearings instead of ball bearings works better.

attachment.php

Photo Courtesy of ChevyJeff

Attachments

• Clamp on Steering shaft.jpg
    Clamp on Steering shaft.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 98
Green Needle Bearing Bushing

Green Needle Bearing Bushing (88963617 - "Lower Steering Shaft Bearing")

attachment.php

Photo Courtesy of RCH

Attachments

• Greenbushingneedlebearing.jpg
    Greenbushingneedlebearing.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 74
Ok, the steering column looks different on my Tahoe than on the picture you provided. My plastic thing is already blue and has an electric connector on it. Here is some pics. My questions is am I in the right area? Were do I put the c clamp on this?

Attachments

• IMG_0897a.jpg
    IMG_0897a.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0898a.jpg
    IMG_0898a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0899a.jpg
    IMG_0899a.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0900a.jpg
    IMG_0900a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 32
the bearing is similar, but your tahoe has a steering wheel position sensor for emergency handling ect. same procedure only tougher because the swps has little fingers to keep it tight on the coulumn and they are a pain in the arse to get off.

I think the rattle comes from the ISS itself. I replaced the ISS and the bearing in my truck and there is no rattle at all now. My Yukon looks the same as yours Cash and I have not replaced it as of yet but it is on the list.

If you are going to replace the bearing you might as well do the ISS too. You will be half way there to replace the bearing anyway. I paid $62.00 from my dealer for the shaft.

I thought the old style ISS lost the grease and therefore rattled. The new ones are supposed to have a seal so the grease does not leak out.

Time will tell i guess.

Big tip: Do not let the steering wheel turn while changing either one of these out. The clock spring behind the steeiring wheel is expensive.

the bearing on those is alot harder to do. if you can position the gear drive on the clamp so it doesnt interfere i'd try it first.

Back