• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter ID on a CUCV

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I was BS 'in with one of the mechanics at Fleet about the CUCV and I was asking him if they ever had any trouble with the lights as I am having. He said know and anyway the conversation went on to how well it cranks over with 24v and he said he "thinks" someone may have put a 12v starter in a 24v system. How would I know ? Never seeing a 24v starter before what should I look for to know one way or another ? > iahte that. I wish if he knew they did then just tell me , not leave me guessing.

The starters, glow plugs and the IP are the three main items that come to mind as being 24V

There is a resistor bank that reduces the voltage to 12V for the rest of the truck.

Swap out the glow plugs, the controler, shutoff and CCA solenoids and the starter and the alternator.

Lose the resistor setup and things should be just about Civi again.

I have never understood the militaries love of 24 Volt systems.

All the class 8 trucks used to be 24 Volts years ago and now most everything is 12V

A 12V starter hooked to 24V will really haul (for a little while)

Now the main reason the military uses the 24V sytem is, Higher voltage takes less amperage to do the same job. Less amperage means you can use smaller wire.

Also the parts like brushes and such in the starters will last longer.

Another reason the CUCV was converted was so the jump starting procedere was simple.

Any Mil rig (Most) can jump start another in the field.

A lot of the MIL radio equipment is 24V too.

Just some thoughts

MGW

Yep except on the m1009s and m1008s only the starter is 24v. Rest of the truck is 12v. Humvees have 24v glows and contorller/ and IP shutoff from what I have been told by other m1008/9 owners. I drove a 75 r model with a series parallel switch. I will say it started in the winter when others would not.

Back