• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speedometer, ABS, washer fluid pump.

MikFish

Reaction score
1996 6.5 Diesel, 5 speed manual, 242,000 original miles. Transmission built twice now at 130K and 225K.

Not sure if this is all coincidental, but all 3 of these components are giving me issues.
Started with the washer fluid pump not working, then the ABS light is on with an occasional shake and chatter of the brakes, and just yesterday the speedometer needle was bouncing then went to -0-. The mileage isn't registering either.
I have pulled all the fuses in the dash and under the hood, none are bad.
The ABS has been doing this off and on (more off) over the past year. I pull the fuse, the light goes out and then it isn't an issue for anywhere up to 3 or 4 months.
Seems like it is an electrical issue, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any suggestions and help is MUCH appreciated. This has been a great truck for me for over 20 years

is your rig 4wal ABS or just the two front? I would start by checking if you can have someone read the ABS codes. I doubt the washer pump has anything to do with it all.

I think the speedo is read off a sensor in the transmission rear tailhousing. That sensor or wiring to it could be the issue with the speedo. I have no idea if the ABS gets any readings from the speedo sensor but doubt it's related. Pull ABS codes as suggested first

UPDATE:
This truck does have an electronic speed sensor on the rear of the transmission. Inexpensive part, easy swap, speedometer working again.
I'm sure it is coincidental, but the ABS light went out and has not come on since then either.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions all!

Back