• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Speaker Looking Hole above my head

busdriver75

Busier than hell...
Reaction score
what's the speaker looking hole above my head? it started making noise the other day like a fan out of balance? any ideas what the hell it is??

air temp sensor(fan) for climate control...I can't recall the name...but my wifes has been buzzing(going bad ) for some time now...

cabin temp guage.its got a little fan in there and you can lube it up with some electic lube to make that noise go away.i use to think it was for the onstar but it isnt.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment that they have a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like a microphone or a small speaker.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The plastic escutcheon grill, which is round and about the size of a half dollar and located just above the driver to the left, is the interior ambient temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (C68). On occasions, this sensor has been known to make a buzz or rattle sound. The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. This buzz noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the buzz or noise from this sensor, Engineering has found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly that it may bind and cause the fan to make a buzz noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so check for any binding. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.

If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Now to replace it the headliner must drop down, just enough to get your hands in there. I have seen people tap on it and make it stop, but doing so can also break it, so thats your choice.

1. Remove the left windshield garnish molding.
  2. Remove the left center pillar assist handle.
  3. Remove the left center pillar garnish molding.
  4. Remove the left sunshade.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the inside air temperature sensor.
  6. Partially remove the inside air temperature sensor from the headliner.
  7. Remove the sensor grille from the inside air temperature sensor.
    Images available only to Customers.
  8. Remove the inside air temperature sensor from the headliner.

Its the auto climate control interior ambient temperature sensor. You could try taking it apart and blow all the dust and grime out of it. Also as mentioned above a little electronics lube should quiet it down until the sleeve bearing seizes. :D

thanks pepp!

seems like a lot of work for just a sensor, it'll wait a week or two until i have to pull the headliner down to put my gauges and cab lights on.

Back