• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Southern Alberta winds, July, 2009

jc64

( . Y . )
Reaction score
T[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]he pictures were taken around the Medicine Hat , Canada area after a windstorm in July. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]The bales apparently weigh up to approximately 1,600lbs and some were reported to have rolled up to 5 miles.[/FONT]

Attachments

• bales1.jpg
    bales1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 22
  • bales2.jpg
    bales2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • bales3.jpg
    bales3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 22
I used to live by picture butte,just north of lethbridge. These unrelenting Chinook winds drove me bananas:mad2::mad5::cussing:,we had winds that formed dirt drifts up to 8' high across the farmyard and the feedlot i used to work, it toppled pivots and even made the gravel airborne.
I cant figure out how people can live in that hellhole they call the paliser triangle and stay sane.

I decided to bail out 25 yrs ago and move to a place one can sit outside and enjoy a barbeque :thumbsup:without having to hang on to every plate and fork or the kids for that matter.:irked:

Wow! I don't want to even think what one of those would do if it hit the house or truck on the way by....

Never had one move an inch down here, that is incredible!

Dang, how often do they get those strong winds in that area?
That gawd almighty chinook blows 2-3 times a week all friggin day,every damn thing that aint nailed down is gone east .the damn trees grow all one way only,Fort Mcloud gets wind every day.

Don't feel sorry for him... he tried to save a little time by not staking his bales down, and now he has to go round them all back up. he gambled and lost.

Anybody that dumb gets what they get. He's probably from the east or from down south. Wait until he tries to get through winter without a block heater or a dogsled.

OK, OK, I'm being a smart-alec. This actually happened, but it was in 2008, just south of Medicine Hat near Seven Persons. Wind gusts in the front of a storm cell measured near 215 km/h (~130 mph), and also flipped a few cattle-liners on the highway. IIRC, the bales rolled downhill after the wind got 'em started... once you start a bale moving, a man can roll 'em around (if they're new and tight) on flat ground.

You should see how they unroll if the twine breaks!

Last edited:
I had to unload one out of the back of my truck without a machine, I did the back up and hit brakes routine. Pretty funny stuff.

Don't feel sorry for him... he tried to save a little time by not staking his bales down, and now he has to go round them all back up. he gambled and lost.

Anybody that dumb gets what they get. He's probably from the east or from down south. Wait until he tries to get through winter without a block heater or a dogsled.

OK, OK, I'm being a smart-alec. This actually happened, but it was in 2008, just south of Medicine Hat near Seven Persons. Wind gusts in the front of a storm cell measured near 215 km/h (~130 mph), and also flipped a few cattle-liners on the highway. IIRC, the bales rolled downhill after the wind got 'em started... once you start a bale moving, a man can roll 'em around (if they're new and tight) on flat ground.

You should see how they unroll if the twine breaks!
You ever heard the story of that fella pulling a sled with his horse in the winter.Then a warm chinook started blowing, before to long his horse was running full out in the snow,and the sled was making tracks on bare ground.

It blows so bad in the south.A farmer is allways farming some one elses soil.

This one is true.
It can be 40 below at sunrise with a chinook building,and by 1 o'clock water is running over the yard and its + 15.

Back