• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Source for high temp glow plug wire?

ShawnR

Reaction score
Hi guys, long time no chat

A while back I had replaced the ends of my glow plug harnes with regular old cheap connectors and non-hi temp wire. As you can guess, it ain't workin' so well.

I can get the hi temp spade connectors at autozone or SS diesel, but I can't find a source for the high temp fancy wire that goes between the fusable link and the glow plug. Napa and the chevy dealer both said "Huh?".

Does anybody have any suggestions? (A part number would rock too!)

Thanks,
- Shawn

Last edited:
The best information I've found is the wire is Teflon coated, PTFE.

PTFE is good for 400F.

I've priced it, only found 100' rolls for +$150. It's used in Military and aerospace a lot.

Google search, found one place that had 25' rolls of 18ga. Didn't see anything heavier list with them.

If the wire higher up in the harness is good, add a piece in the middle to move the high temp stuff down the harness.

I priced the glow plug harness a the stealer, + $400, Ouch!

Ask your Napa guy if they can get PTFE wire. Ask them to call their tech line, belden does have PTFE wire. They also may have small packs of it.

It's all fusible link - just get the same color and yer good to go................

It's all fusible link - just get the same color and yer good to go................

on my 98, the right side has orange wire and short fusable links. The insulation is not normal automotive wire insulation, either.

There are pictures of my glow harness posted here:
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=5488

Note the second picture that shows the burnt out wire.

As noted in the linked post, the left and right sides are constructed differently.

FYI, Fusable links are not supposed to be any longer that 6" and should two gauges (some say 4 guages) smaller than the main circuit. (GM manuals show 2 size diffence on typical circuits for fusable links)

I have found a source online that has the following stuff:

Specifications
ConductorSilver-plated stranded copper wire
InsulationExtruded PTFE
Temperature Range-65°C to +200°C (-85°F to +392°F)

12 ga 25 ft. In Stock $29.67
14 ga 25 ft. In Stock $23.58
16 ga 25 ft. In Stock $16.75

What gauge of wire would you go with? I will assume that thicker is better as long as it will fit into the glow plug connector to get crimped down.

When I replaced my engine last year, I also replaced all of the glow wires. I bought them from gmpartsdirect dot com. They don't list them on their website - IIRC I either called or e-mailed them. They sent me a screen shot from their computer to verify. Also, IIRC, I ordered 3 pieces - the main harness, and then the two extensions on the passenger side. I may still have the old harness laying around - which didn't have any problems.

I have found a source online that has the following stuff:

Specifications
ConductorSilver-plated stranded copper wire
InsulationExtruded PTFE
Temperature Range-65°C to +200°C (-85°F to +392°F)

12 ga 25 ft. In Stock $29.67
14 ga 25 ft. In Stock $23.58
16 ga 25 ft. In Stock $16.75

What gauge of wire would you go with? I will assume that thicker is better as long as it will fit into the glow plug connector to get crimped down.

IMHO, Based on the experience on my truck and what is in the manual, would suggest 14 ga with the specified 0.8mm fusable link. The obvious choice is to match the existing wire gauge. The stock gauge isn't heavy enough based on the short damage in my truck.

I replaced the damaged section on mine with regular 10ga, up to the weather pack connector. The stock pigtail goes on to the glow plug.

Other opinions?

Keep in mind that in order for the fusible link to function properly, it should be 4 gauges smaller than rest of the circuit.

This means that if your circuit is 10 gauge, your fusible link should be 14 gauge, for example.

Here is a link where you can buy fusible link wire: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/fusible-link.shtml

Here is where you can buy hi temp wire: http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/tuff-wire.shtml

For what it's worth:
GM glow plug wiring diagram specifies 0.8mm^2 (18ga) fusable link on each glow plug and 3.0mm^2 (12ga) fusable link on each bank (4 glow plugs) The wiring diagram also specifies 5.0mm^2 (10ga) wire for the harness.

Again: it's all fusible link - just get the same color and yer good to go - that orange stuff on the turbo-side ends is silvered-wire teflon-insulated, not easily damaged, and can be crimped to new fusible link wiring, just like oem - fusible link is fine-strand silicone-insulated wiring for high heat areas, color-coordinated to actual size in mm - try to burn it with a hot soldering iron - rest of the engine harness is coarse-strand silicone-insulated wiring - try to burn it with a hot soldering iron................

Again: it's all fusible link - just get the same color and yer good to go .....

Get it from where? The local dealer just looked confused and said I needed to buy the entire harness.

Currently I am leaning towards just replacing the pigtails and the GP connectors and keeping the fusible links (rubber thingys) that are already in the wiring. I could rebuild the entire harness with new fusible links and all for around $50 + S&H.

Anybody know offhand what a new one costs and if it comes with connectors? Again, a part number would be great.

'Zone carries it by the spool, as do some of the other auto emporiums - NAPA has it, try Chief, Pepboys, whoever is popular in your neck of the woods............

Anybody know offhand what a new one costs and if it comes with connectors? Again, a part number would be great.

Did you try the link I gave you? You can get the part number through them or from your dealer. I don't recall the price, but it came with everything.

Multi-strand fusible link is used for the glow harness because it will endure higher internal heat than the normal engine bay harness wiring, particularly as the gp's oft have a tendency to direct short - the link wiring can melt without destroying the insulation and adjacent wiring in the harness - can also endure higher external heat without damaging the wire conductors - ideal for gp systems harness - match the color for the correct size, or clean the insulation and note the wire size as printed thereon

What isn't working?

I've patched up a few GP wires using common shovel connectors and 16 gauge wire with no issues.....

It worked fine for the first year, but now is starting hard & smoking. It acted the same way a few years ago when my WAP glow plugs all crapped out. If I am going to pull the downpipe & replace glow on the right side, I am going to put in the right wires & connectors this time. Looks like a trip to autozone may get me squared away. I am just going to replace all of the right side glows since it is such a pain.

Back