• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

So thats why it kept failing!

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody know where I could get new rear brake lines? The ones that are along the axle itself that go to the rear drums? While leveling out the rear today to match the front I found that my passenger side brake line is crushed near the shock. Looks like someone backed into something before I got the truck.(ex Air Force truck)

When I first bought the the truck it kept failing for the rear passenger brake being out of alignment. Brought it to a friend of mine and since that sides shoes where oil soaked he replaced the seal and did the brakes and passed it for me. Now I see why it failed:mad2::rolleyes5:

Suggestions? Or hell even what may be involved in a disk brake conversion):h

any part store sells it by the foot for a few bucks, youll need a flair tool and the fittings.

flair tool I have...sitting around somewhere. And I have a bender around here somewhere too... I would imagine NAPA would have the correct size fittings for this?

Thanks guys. I figured they would. Guess that will be the first thing to get fixed after I bleed the brakes out and fire her up tomorrow.

most part stores sell ready made lines in diff lenghts.
That's what I've done. Take out the old line and get an accurate flare to flare measurement. They should have one within an inch or 2.

for a disk brake conversion its very simple. you will need a slightly shorter hard brake line on the rear axle, a soft brake line to each rear wheel (the caliper's float a little bit), the brake caliper mounting bracket (diy4x.com is the one i purchased, no spacer), a set of rotors from a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy 73-87 front axle 4x4, and calipers from the same truck if you are going to setup a driveline brake as your parking brake (stronger calipers). if your going with a parking brake still on the wheels then you will need to go with eldorado calipers.

for a disk brake conversion its very simple. you will need a slightly shorter hard brake line on the rear axle, a soft brake line to each rear wheel (the caliper's float a little bit), the brake caliper mounting bracket (diy4x.com is the one i purchased, no spacer), a set of rotors from a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy 73-87 front axle 4x4, and calipers from the same truck if you are going to setup a driveline brake as your parking brake (stronger calipers). if your going with a parking brake still on the wheels then you will need to go with eldorado calipers.

wow:thumbsup: Major thanks there Red. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Now by driveline brake do you mean the brake used on the driveshaft to act as a parking brake like on the International S1600's?

You mention that going with a driveline brake using the 73-87 front axle parts will provide stronger calipers as well. I'd want as strong braking power as I could get to match the raw stopping power the SFA has right now so I guess I'll be coming up with some kind of driveline brake system.

I guess custom rear brake lines are in store than? or Is there a truck that has what I need I can order then from?

correct on the driveline brake setup, would require installing a brake rotor/caliper on either the t-case output end of the driveshaft or the pinion on the axle.

will need to custom make the hardlines there on the axle, not very difficult though the hardest part of the whole thing is deciding how long you want it to be.

the k20/k30 calipers have more clamping power, and tend to stay together much longer than the eldorado calipers.

you will also need to install a proportioning valve to limit the pressure going to the rear, gonna be really easy to lock up the rear when you do the swap if you dont install that valve.

Back