• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

should I do my tranny, or does it have a few miles left?

bearmtnmartin

Reaction score
My tranny has been throwing slipping codes for a while now, and I cut the filter open and there are bits of bushing in there. So I need to redo it, but I'm wondering if it will let go with a bang, or will the slipping get worse and worse? It would be nice to put it off for another 6 months, but if it blows I will need a tow and be out of service, so thats a gamble. But in 6 months I will have the money set aside.... Its a 4L80E in a 95 doolie and I tow a small trailer failrly regularly, but mostly on the flat. So do I gamble or go into debt...

hmmmmm, the crystal ball says.........you are screwed--maybe tomorrow, maybe in september on a cloudy day.

How much weight being pulled. Is fluid burned or has been burned? How big a pieces. Generally, once you go from grit to pieces of metal- best to invest in a case of jim beam. Impossible to say, chunks NOT good. Mine ran ok until I had a load through New Mexico and lost it in the hills. More weight pulled means shorter life. Slipping will get worse with load. I'm a big fan of lubegaurd-got unloaded truck back to Texas(barely).

My opinion is if needed for work and can't do without-get now. If do w/o- save and pay cash. I got a GM rebuild with 50kmile warranty and I think 3 year for 2375 exchange

Welcome to DTR, please fill out signature in user CP, and where you at?

thanks for the reply. I know I'm screwed. LOL. I've had enough junk for enough years that I'm fairly used to things breaking and draining my wallet. I think I've already decided to run it for a bit and see if it will go for a while. I'm never too far from home, so the worst will be a phone call for the hook and run home for my other truck.

might throw some lubegaurd down its throat-at worst it wont help-best it should give you more miles out of it. good luck.

due to poor maintenance by previous owner, mine went at 180k miles.

Back