• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I change the pressure regulator?

mgray

Reaction score
When I spent 5 months driving my truck down thu Mexico a couple years ago(pan fluid changed before trip), there was one day, after constant speeding up/slowing down for speedbumps in the middle of the hot day, where it started to do hard shifts from 1-2nd I think(or 2-3rd can't remember). Anyways, after that day of driving I never felt it again. I wrote it off as a hot day and all the slowing and speeding just heated things up.

Now 2 years later, in the last month, going down the highway at 95kph/60mph I've noticed a "bump"(feels like going over a bump)/shudder/miss. It's only happened once on 2 different days.

Going to change the fluid and filter, MAYBE flush too. But my transmission guy says that while we're in there, we should change the pressure regulator, as it only lasts about 80,000km.

What do you all think about my issues and is it a good idea to change the pressure regulator?

Did it set any codes?

I think your tranny guy is looking to make some extra dough,the press regulator can last a couple hundred k or more,its not a maintenance item. they can be easely tested with a DVM

personally i would'nt flush the tranny,l rather let sleeping lions sleep.

a fluid and filter change replaces only 1/2 the fluid.
I would install a drainplug in the pan,and drain and refill 2 or 3 more times in as many days to get most of the fluid changed.

Thanks for that Bison. He said because the valve body is aluminum, and the Pressure Control Solenoid opens and closes hundreds of times a minute, that the bore wears out and it becomes harder to maintain proper pressure. He said that if we're in there changing fluid we might as well change the PCS since it hasn't been done before. He says changing it now will bring the pressure back to normal and prevent any soft shifts or slippage I might not know about, prolonging the life of the transmission.

Everyone says what a good guy he is, and how much money he's saved them, plus he's been in the Better Business Bureau for decades and seems decent.

So I dunno what to think. I would rather not spend extra $$ if it's really not needed, but if it will prolong the life of the tranny, then it might be worth it.

In your first post you said pressure regulator,thats what i glued in on.
PCS in a diff part,if the bore is wore out(rather fast in only 2 yrs),one is better of to install a shift kit(includes a sleeve and valve for the PCS) and do it right. Replacing just the PCS is gonna change dick all,unless it is faulty.

The torque converter clutch valve has the same bore wear problem. Do both at the same time if your'e doing preventitive maintaince. Product name is sonax shure cure.

Is there any specific brand of filter to use?

And its also probably a good time to add a larger pan while youre at it. My tranny seems to run pretty warm all the time, even when empty its about 220F. Although I dont know best to use, the Mag Hytech 4L80E-A kit looks pretty nice being real rigid and uses O-ring instead of gasket, and comes with filter, which apparantly is different for a deep pan.

So are you guys saying, that with a bore wear problem, just replacing the solenoid/valve doesn't do anything? What I need to do is put a sleeve in first? These shift kits you guys talk about, what's in them? I don't want to change anything with my tranny other than replace wear items.

And I can't really picture how these solenoids/valves wear their bore? I would assume they should be in their own cylinder as one piece, so they wear out inside their own cylinder bore and all you need to do is replace the part?

Anyways, if you guys could show me where I can buy what I need for preventative maintenance that would be awesome thanks.

So are you guys saying, that with a bore wear problem, just replacing the solenoid/valve doesn't do anything? What I need to do is put a sleeve in first? These shift kits you guys talk about, what's in them? I don't want to change anything with my tranny other than replace wear items.

And I can't really picture how these solenoids/valves wear their bore? I would assume they should be in their own cylinder as one piece, so they wear out inside their own cylinder bore and all you need to do is replace the part?

Anyways, if you guys could show me where I can buy what I need for preventative maintenance that would be awesome thanks.
The valves are actually spools,the aluminum bore wears out,not the spools.
A shift kit comes with upgrades that adresses all the common problems.
A kit can be had from any trannyshop worth its salt.

Back