• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Shoplighting

bison

Reaction score
As some of you know i'm building a new farm shop.

I like to get suggestings to what the most efficient lights would be without breaking the bank.
Frankly i don't have a clue what to put in.ie fluorecent,indescendant.. ... ?
on the wall, on the ceiling ?
shop is 72 x 46 x 15 high

There are new flourecent light fixtures with 6, 1/2" dia, 4ft bulbs. They are reasonably priced and are really bright. My brother is an electrician and put some in his son in laws shop. It made a heck of a difference.

IMO ceiling mount HO florescent lights. My dad has 8' ones in his garage, they are bright.

If you do any bodywork or things down lower, you can also recess in the wall or mount some fixtures horizontally on the edges of your workbench, makes a huge lighting difference when doing bodywork or messing under the truck.

Would be nice to have lights in the floor,i'm sick and tired of trouble lights rolling over light down(thats why the call them trouble lights,they give nothing but trouble.

Going with those 8' floresent lights is a good call. They put out plenty of light for any kind of workspace. Uncle of mine has them in his garage and loves them. And where you live, make sure you get the fast starting ballest so they light up to full power quickly in cold weather.

The last survey company I worked for in town had these in their shop. I like these a lot and would get my vote. They are on the pricey side though.

highpressuresodiumlight.jpg

http://www.warehouse-lighting.com/p...aspx?ctype=2&gclid=CLGvr5LvqKkCFcPrKgod30WaPQ

I had 2 of these sodium lights in my old shop at one time,nuttin but trouble,one worked for only 2 days ,the other only when it felt like it which wasn't very often either,in the trash they went.

I use the HO ballast 8 footers. I think they are 110 watts a piece on the bulbs. I think most of the *McHome* stores still carries such animals. The ballasts are heavy little boogers.

These are way better at cold startup. Bright too. Good value.

I have a couple of these lights,its better than no light.. but jeez they get hot.

Read your title first and I thought it said ShopLIFTING. :D

You're right those buggers get HOT. For "portable" lights I've gone to the fluorescent version. Puts out darn near the same amount of light but doesn't burn the back of my hand when I bump into it.

Back