• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Letter from Dealer

Big White

Reaction score
I normally disregard letters from the dealer regarding them servicing my vehicle. If there is something that I can do maintenace on my own, I enjoy the piece of mind. That being said, I reviewed this last letter that I received and have some questions...45K miles on the truck.

Dealer says:

Lube, Oil&Filter Change
Tire Rotation
Front End Alignment
4 wheel brake inspection
Cooling System Inspection
Decarb performance service**********
Fuel system service**************

What do the last 2 "********" items from the above list entail?

Thanks for viewing.

More specifically...what is a decarb performance service?

-and-

What is a fuel system service? What tools, devices or products get used on these 2 procedures?

Thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:friday:

I suspect that it is some type of additive, perhaps to help keep injectors clean. I have heard of the "fuel system service" being packaged like that, but have never heard of the "decarb" thing.

De-carbing would be to use a cleaner to loosen and break up any carbon buildup that has formed on the tops of your pistons, underside of your heads, flats of the valves and such. From what I have read Seafoam will do the same.

Or maybe they want to clean out your carburetor? ):h

Do kids nowadays even know what one of those are??? Might need to clarify for some of the younguns here :D

Sad thing for me is that was my first thought when I read it. Crying baby at 3am screws w/ your thinking

all we do here is the bg kit. it is a fuel additive. same as using a good additive like power service ect. with all the recent head jobs lately there isnt all that much carbon build up i have noticed.

Value-added crap that some dealers like to tell you is vitally important to your vehicle which is the line of bull the equipment salesman fed them when delivering his pitch to sell a $10k magic flush machine.

...and with 1200*+ exhaust gas temps, how much carbon could possibly build up?

This is a great way for service shops to make $69.99 on $8.00 worth of cleaner. A high quality additive, used as directed, will work just as well.

Back