• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service 4wd

Wrecker

The Oil Geek
Reaction score
I got stuck in my own damn driveway thismorning because my 4wd wouldn't engage. When I press 4hi there is an audible click outside the truck, the 4hi light flashes and service 4wd comes up on the DIC. I'm thinking the actuator is frozen, it's 3F this morning.

Any thoughts?

None other than I long for the days of mechanically engaged 4 wheel drive. I never had that fail. Our 98 Suburban has never gone into 4 wd without the front wheels turning. So if you're already stuck, you stay stuck.

I'd guess frozen actuator too. Happened a couple of times to wife's Tahoe. Not my truck but I park inside where it's usually 40* overnight. She parks in an unheated garage.

Priorities my friend, priorities...):h

Actually the garage is about 100' from the house. The shop where I park is way out by the barns. But I don't let all the stuff in there freeze.

It was the encoder motor (actuator). My dealer hooked me up again with another repair about 1050 mi out of warranty.

It was the encoder motor (actuator). My dealer hooked me up again with another repair about 1050 mi out of warranty.

That isn't common is it? I've replaced a few switches in the Electronic 4x4 vehicles we've had. The only problems so far. My truck has been problem free. I've been in 4x4 all day today.

Ashton glad your dealer hook up up. Amazing how a part not used very often fails like that. One more reason I wish these trucks had locking hubs and a stick on the floor.

Back