• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

S10 Chevy S15 GMC Sonoma TDI conversion.

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Want to document this swap, so here go's.

I have a S15 GMC Sonoma that Ive been driving for a short time. I had been thinking of putting the TDI in it someday. Well the truck forced my decision and blew a head gasket. So ether rebuild the POS 2.2, sell the truck or TDI it.
I'll be throwing the TDI in.
Im going to make my own adapter plate that will go from TDI to GM 60 degree ( metric ) bolt pattern and crank hub.
Will be working on this between all the other projects. Got the engine and trans pulled this weekend.
Here are a few pictures.

Nice Leroy! What's the TDI again? PD, right? so 100-ish HP and 185 ft/lbs? Any mods planned for it?

Its out of an 02 Golf. 1.9 TDI
I'll be learning alot as I know nothing about the TDI.

Be interesting to see how this works out. How much length do you have between the inner face of the rad and the firewall? How much space between the rad and the front suspension frame member/tie rod area? Just wondering about the Merc OM 617 five cylinder diesel. It is the same as the OM616, but five cylinders instead of four.

I have my Dads 73 Datsun pickup (bad motor) and have been wondering if the Mercedes OM 616 four cylinder diesel would fit . Lengthwise the 616 looks like it will fit. The question is will the weird shaped oil sump fit between the rad and the tie rod in the Datsun. The pickup is about 2300 pounds. and the Merc W123 chassis (late 70s to mid 80s) is about 3500 pounds. So, I'm guessing that the 616 that is a supposedly a slug in the Merc car could wake up a bit in the Datsun, and return good fuel mileage.

Don

Merc would fit an S10 front to back, not sure of oil pan....ect though.

I'll be working alittle on the adapter today if I find time.

Any TDI guys out there? I need to remove the coolant pipe. Its the metal pipe that connects to heater core then over to IP side of engine. The pipe looks like it terminates under the IP with a rubber seal?? I can not remove it from that point (don't want to force it). Anyone know what Im talking about?

Got it figured out. Its puzzle, I had to go in though tstat hole and press it out. PITA!

Update, Got the prototype engine to trans adapter made. Im going to reinforce the starter mounting, but other than that its ready to go. I have a feeling this will be the easy part of the swap? the electrics could be a pain? I also hope the oil pan clears xmember without to much fuss.
Got a new torque converter also. I matched it up to the peak torque, so about 1950ish RPM stall.
I be running the OptiShift trans controller (available on my site :) )

Below are key words for future people google searching the subject I know it would have helped me alot.

TDI swap to Chevy automatic transmission
TDI to 60 degree bellhousing
TDI to GM metric bellhousing
TDI to S10
TDI to 4L60E
TDI to GM removable bellhousing

looks like an awesome swap! I will show this to a buddy of mine ,he has a fleet of S10s and loves them.

I assume a swap into a 5 speed pickup would be even easier? would the adapter be the same?Z

good luck on getting her together!

Update. Got the engine and trans installed. Got the power steering hooked up.
Next will be all the small stuff then wire harness and ecm.

I had a buddy that put an old Nissan Diesel engine in a little Ford pickup. It ran real good and got great gas mileage. He had a few of those engines laying around. Not sure if he still has them or not. But the little truck ran strong. Much better than the stock 4 cyl Ford engine that came with it. :D

Back