• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

s&b filter on lbz

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
hey guys, just giving a product testemonial for this product. i put it on my dads truck new year day, he has since driven it maybe twice. but definately last tuesday night as he came to see my son because he was ill. the next day i talked to my dad and he was in complete awe over the new found power. he said he thought i had snuck in the garage and tuned it for him. i told him no, and he was shocked.

Joe, reading stuff like this just makes me want to spend money. I wonder if he gained fuel mileage. I guess we will have to wait for him to drive it some more.

I am very pleased with the S&B on my LLY. I have so many mods that I could not point to a definite increase in fuel economy, but it has cleared up the smoke a bit due to getting more air.

i had one also before my turbo inlet change but never noticed much differance, not as describable as he did.

I posted in the K&N thread. I do not understand how some people notice a big diff and some notice nothing. Could his filter have been dirty and just the fact that a clean one went in? With only 6K miles I doubt it is that. I am curious because the only thing I have noticed from running an oil based filter is the amount of oil/dust residue left in the intake. I have tried several setups but can not seem to justify the dirt for the unnoticeable diff. Am I missing something? Is it only noticeable on a bone stock setup? I thought that all the test proved the factory setup to out flow aftermarket and filter better? Just looking to be edjumicated on this.

i am going to make the investment this summer as long as i have a job still. i will report my results then with logs of maf data pre and post.

I thought that all the test proved the factory setup to out flow aftermarket and filter better? Just looking to be edjumicated on this.

Factory does not outflow aftermarket intake systems. I think the big deal with intakes came through when the LBZ's came out with the big fat intake piping. Its been tested that intakes (on 3rd generations anyways), dosent do much for power because the stock intake flows more air to support 500 h.p. Intakes may flow more air but is a question if the "stock" motor can use the additional airflow provided with intakes, and the answer is no. It flows more air, yeah, but does no good when the truck cant make use of it. Therefore, its been determined that the (3rd generation) intake systems are adequate and provide more than enough air flow, using round Donaldson filters.

Now, I like S&B, so I went out and bought one. I didnt notice any difference with it but it was a good deal and they do claim excellent filtration and flow. Banks uses S&B filters for a reason.

The first generations could benefit from the added air flow of an intake system, considering they used the flat style A/C Delco filters. I know Kennedy or someone did come up with an air box mod, like swiss cheesing it or something to get more flow than OEM specs.

Second generations also had a mod to open up the stock air boxes by cutting out a piece of your outter air box or inner fender. When I was driving an 04.5 LLY, I opted to install an AFE stage 2 a couple months after I bought the truck. This was early 2004 and we were still learning about intakes and crap back then. On a stock truck (I was running Edge, when it actually worked) it made it noticeably peppier off the line. There was no doubt in my mind that the truck didnt pick up some more low end beans and was breathing better. Hell, the wife even noticed it after she drove it. It became punchier down low. With a tune on it, I didnt notice anything different.

So, I think that "stock intakes flow well enough" really applies to the 3rd and 4th generation motors, with the stock 4" tubing and Donaldson filters. This is why now, this past year that everyone is trying to get their hands on the LBZ intake mouthpiece. Its all over the net and GM cant get enough to supply the demand for them. They've become a very popular air flow mod to the 1st and 2nd generation trucks.

Back