• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RPM and alt pulley..I'm stumped

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Hey Guys, in all the discussions about getting the wrong size pulley when buying a AdvancedPepZone reman alternator......I checked my reman, and sure nuff it has the small pulley - roughly 2 7/16ths across(diameter) at the lip. Went to local alternator shop, guy was cool just traded mine out and swapped it for me...for free....now I have the larger pulley - roughly 2 5/8ths " diameter.
Here are my findings;
Small pulley - idle = 700 rpm
55 mph = 1600 rpm
60 mph = 1750 rpm
65 mph = 1850 rpm

Larger pulley - idle = 550 rpm
55 mph = 1450 rpm
60 mph = 1600 rpm
65 mph = 1700 rpm

I've got 3.42 gears and my tires are a tad bit taller than stock (stock are 30.5" tall and mine are 31.7" tall with a circumference of 99.7")
Can anyone point me to an online calculator or do you know what rpm I should be turning at these speeds?

Thanks

I also have 3.43 gears and the large 2 7/16 alt. pulley, and 31.6 dia. tires 265/15 16's but see rpm versus mph similar too your small alt. #'s lol. MY real speed (gps) is 2mph faster than what my speedo shows, 58mph speedo is really 60mph due to the non stock tires.

I have used this calculator a few times and seems good. http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
The 4l80e trans. has a .75 OD ratio, Opps just noticed you have a standard, guess thats why theres a difference in our #'s, hmm can't remember off hand what the 5sp OD ratio is .72 or is it .68.

I also have 3.43 gears and the large 2 7/16 alt. pulley, and 31.6 dia. tires 265/15 16's but see rpm versus mph similar too your small alt. #'s lol. MY real speed (gps) is 2mph faster than what my speedo shows, 58mph speedo is really 60mph due to the non stock tires.

I have used this calculator a few times and seems good. http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
The 4l80e trans. has a .75 OD ratio, Opps just noticed you have a standard, guess thats why theres a difference in our #'s, hmm can't remember off hand what the 5sp OD ratio is .72 or is it .68.

2 7/16 is the SMALL pulley
My new pulley is almost 2 5/8ths and now my rpm's are right on the money - confirmed by the calculators you guys posted here.

Thanks BTW

2 7/16 is the SMALL pulley
My new pulley is almost 2 5/8ths and now my rpm's are right on the money - confirmed by the calculators you guys posted here.

Thanks BTW

Thanks for pointing out. I made a mistake, meant to say I have the large 2 5/8 to the outside flange. (or 62mm pulley measured to the inside grooves)

Back