• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Red Line Synthetic Oil

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I tried searching for any conversation related to this, but couldn't find any:

A co-worker is advising that I put red line in as a substitute for my manual transmission on my ford ranger. Has anyone used or heard anything about Red Line?

Yeah, I have read some about them they have several formulas and products. Their fuel catalyst seemed pretty good to me a couple of times I've used it. It reduced smoke some. I'd look at their recommendation for which product to use. For the nv4500 they said to mix 2 products?????

I have no idea which synthetic is the best but any is probably better than conventional oil.

Stick with what your transmission likes and triple check you use the proper kind and weight. They can be really fussy about oil brands esp. when cold. One may work well with brand X oil and the next trans hates it (shift feel). Fluid changes can change the shift feel as well if the old oil sheared down a lot. This is coming from the fussiest oil trans known the NV5600... That said Redline, Amsoil, and some others make good trans oil.

I discovered Red Line products many years ago when I was racing a 600+HP dirt late model. Using their gear lube in the quick change rear end, I found a tremendous difference in the heat generated during a race. This convinced me to use their products exclusively in the race car. At one point, I lost all the coolant and didn't notice until it was way too late. I thought my temp gauge was malfunctioning, when, in reality it was pegged on the back side of the 0 pin (270 deg. gauge = 300 deg+ actual temp). the engine actually started and ran the next day but #5 cyl. was dead. Tear down revealed #5 piston was completely melted down but the rest of the engine looked brand new. No oil related failures even at that extreme temperature and 7400 RPM.

I now run Red Line products in all of my vehicles including my Duramax, and a Ram 5500 6.7, and an International 4300 DT466.

Excellent quality products but you have to accept the high cost vs benefits. I wouldn't spend extra money on an old tired transmission

Back