• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Recreation (exercise) apps

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but have you got any apps you like to use on your phone?

I found that "10 Daily Yoga Poses" helped me from jolting awake with lower back pain at 3am.

And I don't feel like paying $40+/mo for a gym I never go to so I'm currently trying the following additional apps (after a lot of research and comparison):

Pilates Exercises, Daily Yoga, Accupedo (for tracking my walking, but will probably be deleting it since I can utilize the information), Strava (for bike riding gps tracker), WeightGurus (bluetooth connected scale), sworkit lite, 7 minute (workout), circuit training assistant, workout trainer

Didn't know if you guys have tried any of these?

I considered getting a fitbit to track my sleep, but again, what would I do with that information? Or a tracking watch, but I can carry my phone for the price a good one sells for.

(Based off my Samsung Galaxy S3)

Tracking your sleep is really interesting, you do need to be attentive to what you're doing before bed, if you had any caffeine or anything in the afternoon/evening, etc. It can help you make decisions to get better sleep as a rule, not an exception.

Tracking your sleep is really interesting, you do need to be attentive to what you're doing before bed, if you had any caffeine or anything in the afternoon/evening, etc. It can help you make decisions to get better sleep as a rule, not an exception.

Yea, but caffeine isn't the factor when it comes to sleep. I can drink a cup of coffee or pop, pass out and sleep great.

It probably has more to do with how late I drink or eat something..

My wife like the couch to 10K app / plan. She would get mad I could slow jog with her a 5K cold turkey and she trained for it. Last race a little over a year ago she pushed me and I was sucking wind. I haven't jogged or walked much in year or so. She has jogged a few half marathons over the last year.

I've had a fitbit for a little over 3 years now & love it. Regarding the step count tracking, I find it's real value is that the number is an objective benchmark. You can look & know if you'd gotten the amount of activity you intend to. Essentially, it's a bs detector for those days when you're tired, & it "feels" like you've gotten a lot of activity, but the fitbit confirms whether or not you actually have.

About six months ago, the Fitbit One got accidently left in a pocket & died going thru the washing machine. So upgraded to the wrist Fitbit Charge HR, that also tracks heart rate. I like that function as it effortlessly collects your daily resting heartrate. That's a useful, objective benchmark for personal aerobic fitness. Give's me a bit better idea of my fitness level - particularly beneficial when preparing for some strenuous hiking at altitude.

The sleep tracking has helped me a couple times identify what was waking me up. If neighbor dog's yipping wakes me up, I typically don't awaken quickly enough to become aware of what woke me up. After seeing a clear trend of waking up at a specific time, I set an alarm just a bit before, woke up, & waited. Sure enough a couple minutes before the time I'd been waking up before intended, they let the dog out & it starts in yipping, does it's business, & is let back in the house.

Once I knew that was the cause, I spoke with them, & they try a bit to discipline the dog's annoyance yipping.

The sleep tracking has helped me a couple times identify what was waking me up. . . . Sure enough a couple minutes before the time I'd been waking up before intended, they let the dog out & it starts in yipping, does it's business, & is let back in the house.. . .they try a bit to discipline the dog's annoyance yipping.

Barn owls are good for solving that too :)

I have some barn owls around - evidently they're not quite hungry enough :)

Also hear the occasional screech owl (quite aptly named). How does something that small makes such a noise :)

Great feedback.

I have thought about the benefits of the resting heart rate. And the sleeping tracking - looking for patterns specifically, is practical as well.

I may rethink purchasing one.

Back