• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild Ideas?

paintballrepins

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new on this forum. I noticed the other day my truck had low oil pressure. Hooked up an oil pressure gauge and at idle I had no pressure at all. Oil appears to be thin, I'm going to have it tested as soon as I can get the oil changed. The oil isnt grayed so I assume that coolant isn't getting into it. The motor has 275k on it so I figure I'm lookin at a complete rebuild anyway. What is the general consensus. I was hoping to have it last longer and completely redo everything for as much power as possible. Just wondering what everyone's opinions are. Right now I'm thinking head studs and fire rings so I can run higher boost. I live in PA and it is my winter driver so my feelings are mixed on lower comp ratio pistons. Let me know what you guys think

Welcome

Does the oil smell like diesel? Any change in the way it runs? Like misfires knocking etc.

no change in running, the oil does not smell like diesel, thats why im going to have it tested. I was having a problem with the truck defueling due to over boost. Made a mechanical wastegate actuator to solve this problem. I run 5-8 psi highway with a peak around 13 psi. In my opinion the two are not related, this is just a problem with age of the motor.

I live in Myerstown. I'm also going for as much power as possible,if you are serious about it I could help you get more than normal max fuel from the injector pump.

I have a plan for the electronic pump, I'm thinking about getting a core to experiment with,you could always convert to mechanical pump if you want. I really need a electronic pump truck that's local,or buy one myself for testing.

I have a plan for the electronic pump, I'm thinking about getting a core to experiment with,you could always convert to mechanical pump if you want. I really need a electronic pump truck that's local,or buy one myself for testing.

6.2 turbo, hey my buddy's 94 Suburban could be your electronic pump test truck when we finally get the thing running again. Problem is with all the snow we've had in the past two weeks from the blizzard of '10 we have really been set back as far as working on it because it's outside in my backyard on grass :mad2: And there is a possible chance he may consider to convert the engine over to mechanical injection to avoid the problematic electronic 6.5 issues. His injection pump is coming off his original 235k engine and being put on the replacement 125k engine, so I really can't guarantee the pump will last a whole lot of miles after we get it running. If and when it craps out I can guarantee he'll do the switch to mechanical. As soon as the snow melts and it warms up some we plan to have it running and on the road. And at that time we'd like to try to come up your way as we aren't real far to see if you could tinker or show us tips on the injection pump. I myself have a 93 Dodge diesel that I have the Bosch VE pump turned up on (but w/ no injectors), so I'm sure we'd easily get along being diesel gearheads. My buddy was really trying to see if he could build a mechanical pump (probably a 2-plunger DB2) with maybe .038 or .040" size plungers to be conservative to your setup running the .050", run 30 psi boost max, and shoot for a good running truck. I'll keep you updated on our progress too.

I ran a .370 ,2 plunger for a while it wasn't to bad,I've heard of .390 but never saw any. I should be able to build at .370 without custom machining,Its hard to find these parts, there's one on ebay but not sure about it.

Whats canger ? Theres some .270- 4 plunger pumps on ebay, I did some math and it is the same as a .380 - 2 plunger ,I might buy one,and convert it to a 8 cyl db2 pump, and sell it. Paintballrepins, once I get my 6.2 oringed I'll be able to tell you which head gasket works, as for compression ,I'm not that impressed with my 16 to 1 , the lower you go the more fuel it seems to need to make lots of power. My truck will will spin through second gear when the turbo lights , which seems decent for a 6.2, power wise.

Last edited:
Whats canger ? Theres some .270- 4 plunger pumps on ebay, I did some math and it is the same as a .380 - 2 plunger ,I might buy one,and convert it to a 8 cyl db2 pump, and sell it. Paintballrepins did you check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

It's 6.5 talk for change.:D

I can't type either. One way to change plunger size is custom machining,which is tricky. The cheapest way is mix and match head and rotor,the best way is getting a brand new head and rotor from stanadyne,but I haven't found any large two plunger pumps for a v8.

Hey 6.2, I'm trying to get a motor from a friend of a friend. It would be a replacement untill I have enough money to rebuild or buy the motor I want. If this is the case I would have an extra electronic pump. If your still interested, I'll keep you posted

Back