• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear floating axle saver

bison

Reaction score
I came across this tool i made some yrs ago to repair a Dodge treaded axle end that got oval cause the nut holding the hub on came off letting the axleshaft incl the hub and wheels slip out side ways,FFing up the treaded end.

Maybe one has gonna have that happen someday.

With this tool you can squeeze the end back to size so you can get the nut back on,no heating up required.

Attachments

• axle saver.jpg
    axle saver.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
That's pretty slick! Explain how you made that without distorting the threads when welding and once its on the threads, do you rotate it to true up the axle end?

That's pretty slick! Explain how you made that without distorting the threads when welding and once its on the threads, do you rotate it to true up the axle end?

I started out with a piece of 3/8" plate about 6x5".i torched a hole in it the size of an original axle nut and welded the nut in it, then welded the 2 (11/16" ID precision)tubings to the sides and then cut the whole thing in half with the cutoff saw.
to use it, clamp the 2 halves vertical over the treaded part with the treads lined up and just torque the bolts and nuts alternately. It'll force the axle back to round.
I did it in steps,moving the tool back and forth over the entire lenght of the tread as the nut in the tool is to narrow to cover all of it at once.

the axle was at least 1/2" out of round and was split on the key way.I just left that be,the truck is still running 6 yrs later.

It actually worked slicker than shit.:thumbsup:

Back