• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RE-Using U-Joint straps?

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
What's people's opinions on this, and how tight should I torque the old, or the NEW ones too (If i need to buy them).

Also, what brands do people like? Anyone make a better srap that is not in question to fail?

Last edited:
Are you talking U-bolts or the straps that keep the leafs lined up? If you are talking u-bolts it's generally accepted to replace. Having said that I have reused without problem. The biggest problem is getting them apart.

Ah I see now read your other thread. I've personally never seen any different brands etc. But I have reused them many times. Even on my Ford with the 428cj in it I would have to change the U-joint every month or 2. I actually stretched the u-joint. To much hp for the u-joint I finally upgraded to a bigger driveshaft and u-joint.

Changed Title to read U-Joint instead of U-Bolt :) Thanks for pointing that out.

i don't think i'm stretching them due to torque, Maybe when I had the sander a 1 1/2 years ago?? I have no problems with the U-joints there, just the strap was finger tight the bolts. I retorqued all my straps and they were all tightened up quite a bit. Then heard not to re-use them. Read an article about them being a weakpoint. Not sure what to do. Just keep em on, or buy new ones from dealer?

I wasn't stretching the straps it was the actual ujoint the stock ford was a wierd joint with one side being dif then the other never had any problems with the straps. If I was a clutch dropper I'm sure I would have blown them. This was from throttling after rolling.

Back