• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Put my LBZ to work this weekend.

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
I know, I know...I really need to start taking pictures of this, it's actually the second round of this, neither of which I've taken pictures. :nonod:

Yesterday and two weeks ago my cousin and I took my truck and my dad's 18' car/utility trailer up to my Aunt & Uncle's farm in Othello and went scrap metal collecting. After the auction there is still quite a bit of old old bits of equipment and scrap sitting in the weeds. I need some rent/school $$$ so he is letting us clean up the property and make a few $$$ while we're at it. Two weeks ago I had 5,400 lbs just scrap iron on the trailer and in the truck. Was worth $160/ton,loaded that up in about 2.5 hours. Yesterday morning we focussed on copper, brass and aluminum. 700# or so in the pickup bed, was worth $754. Came back to the farm to load up the trailer and get more things organized for the next trip. There is easily another 5,000# on the trailer again and still more stuff to cut up. Keep in mind this is all by hand. We use a torch to cut up the bigger equipment and I used a come-a-long to winch things onto the trailer, no ramps either, so I have a wrecking bar to leverage things up. By far the heaviest thing we've loaded in one piece was about 12'-14' of railroad iron, picked up by the two of us and carried to the trailer, closest I could get was about 10'-12'. That thing'll give a guy spotted children.

The funnest part of yesterday was dragging an old old flatbed trailer out of the sand. This trailer was built and used by my, now deceased, grandfather, it has easily been in this back/out-of-the-way area of the farm for 30 years. It had wheel line wheels, baler parts, cultivator parts, ripper parts, old tanks, t-posts, digger chain links, aluminum fittings for hand/wheel-lines, just lots of stuff heaped on it. Two weeks ago we cleaned it off. In doing so we realized the trailer was an old vehicle frame and axles with a wooden deck bolted on it. Rather than leave it there rotting away we brought it up to disassemble and scrap. In fishing the last of the old pipe out from under it, yesterday, I notice it had one hubcap left on it... G M C, in the old script looking font. It had 6-lug hubs, 4-wheel drum brakes, and the rearend had a removable third member AND diff cover. It had springs under axle, with overloads (all together about 6 leaves in the main leaf pack, and 5 in the overloads), the leaves were MAYBE 1.25" wide. It was old, really damn old. So here it sits, buried in the sand up past the center of the axles. I hook onto it with my LBZ and started rocking it back and forth, it was in there. I mean ****ing in there. (I forgot to mention it had several wooden beams on it yet that were as long as railroad ties, but twice the girth. As well, all 4 trailer tires are flat and out of round in a bad way.) I dug down with three wheels (f-ing IFS w/o locker), but stopped before I buried myself. I ended up backing it up a few inches and raking about 5"-6" of loose sand away from the path of my tires, in doing so I got down to the moister and more compact soil. That did the trick, I got it onto the gravel road and was home free.

So here's to my all stock LBZ with POS factory Bridgestone V-Steel tires.:hurray:

Sounds like fun. My buddy and I do some scrap collecting around here. He uses his gas super duty, my D-Max doesn't see the junkyard. I did haul one load on my trailer, 7000lb skid loader trailer stacked as high as the middle of the cab on my truck. I unloaded it and he hauled it to the junkyard. I forget the weight.

That axle you described may be an Eaton. They were used on some of the older GM trucks. In fact my '71 has it but it was only available with "the heavy 3/4 ton option", no 1-ton 4x4's then.

Back