• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pull to the right when braking - turns the steering wheel

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Just replaced the rotors, calipers, pads, sliders/bolts, and ft brake hoses on my 1993. Now when I stop it pulls to the right and as I come to a stop will start to turn the wheel to the right.

What rebuilt caliper is messed up? Or do I just exchange them both? :mad2:

Only diffrence is the right side has GM bolts and sliders while the left has the autozone kit.

Tire pressure good. Will bleed the system one more time today. Both brakes appear to be working from the rotor color. Jacked up and really could not feel one ft tire that was hung up from spinning.

Did you lube everything the calipers slide around on? Pins, slide bushings, bracket contact points, and piston face?

E-Brake test OK. I suspect a bad caliper from Autozone. Everything lubed. Again only diff between sides is GM bolts on rt and Autozone on left.

96 oilburner said:
Always been told to look at the side opposite of the pull. Pull to the right look at left brakes.

I agree with this ... people tend to think 'the right one must be grabbing too hard', when the issue is really that they aren't grabbing the same

Sounds like air to me... check the left-side front. Since you had the caliper right off, you may also have air in the line ABOVE the caliper.

They are a bitch to bleed, if that happens; takes quite a while unless you either gravity or power-bleed it.

If the left-front caliper doesn't exert solid compression, you'll pull hard to the right (assuming the right caliper is fine)

Gravity bleed and finished up with manual bleeding. Going to change the left caliper and match the sliders.

The driver's side, left, rotor has a 1/4" wear pattern near the outer edge. The other side is 50% wear pattern. Although the entire pad is touching I can still see the factory grinding marks on the rotor, crosshatch type marks if you will per the above mentioned wear patterns.

So more break in on the passenger side. Just confirming that the passenger side is working better and the reason it wants to depart the road to the right when on the brakes.

I think the driver's side caliper is bent or flexing. As in seen to many miles and no longer able to be rebuilt. I don't know how one would check this, but, I doubt the place that rebuilds them checks this.

We will see how it works tomorrow after swapping the driver side caliper.

Back