• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pros/Cons of LLY?

If i do save up enough to buy one outright, I plan on buying an LLY ZF6 (LLY is the last d-max with ZF6 option) and the only issue i am scared of is the overheating. I have known of one person I know overheat one, but it was loaded heavy pulling a grade in summer. One expensive but all GM way to do it is to upgrade all the intake ductwork, including the elbow. I also believe the fan and shroud is changed also.

maxxtorque and I believe Diesel World both did articles on this.

If i do save up enough to buy one outright, I plan on buying an LLY ZF6 (LLY is the last d-max with ZF6 option) and the only issue i am scared of is the overheating. I have known of one person I know overheat one, but it was loaded heavy pulling a grade in summer. One expensive but all GM way to do it is to upgrade all the intake ductwork, including the elbow. I also believe the fan and shroud is changed also.

maxxtorque and I believe Diesel World both did articles on this.

The LLY overheat is a hit and miss. But, as far as I know on the 06 LLY motors it's nothing to worry about.

Actually the lbz has a decreased compression ration which resulted in an increase in hp, according to what I have read.And the kick ass turbo mouthpiece helps out also.

52,000 trouble free miles, many towing my 9000# travel trailer. Fixed the hot running by replacing the exhaust with a 4" no cat setup, Tx cold air duct kit and a LBZ turbo mouthpiece. The ISS was replaced once and then after that I installed the grease fitting in it and throw a few pumps in every 6 months or so. Only real complaint is the crappy quality of the mini lights in the insturments and switches.

Mines never run hot, infact I have never even approached 200*, even with a gooseneck and truck loaded up, racing home. Only con I can think of is I'd like the 6 speed Alli, other wise I wouldnt say not pick a LBZ over a LLY or vice versa.

Actually the lbz has a decreased compression ration which resulted in an increase in hp, according to what I have read.And the kick ass turbo mouthpiece helps out also.

The decreased compression ratio on the LBZ will decrease fuel efficiency, all else being equal. I'm pretty sure the compression was lowered to decrease NOx emmisions. The power increase the LBZ has over the LLY is due to programming changes, but if you plan to run a tuner, that isn't a big deal anyway. If you ask people who have owned both an LLY and a LBZ, I'd bet that most will tell you the LLY got better mileage, assuming they were both driven and loaded the same way. I would not be afraid of owning either engine myself.

The decreased compression ratio on the LBZ will decrease fuel efficiency, all else being equal. I'm pretty sure the compression was lowered to decrease NOx emmisions. The power increase the LBZ has over the LLY is due to programming changes, but if you plan to run a tuner, that isn't a big deal anyway. If you ask people who have owned both an LLY and a LBZ, I'd bet that most will tell you the LLY got better mileage, assuming they were both driven and loaded the same way. I would not be afraid of owning either engine myself.

I stand corrected,but despite the differece in engine hp I would still prefer to have the 6 speed tranny given the choice.

So, no-one here has the dreaded ISS clunk, or #2 #7 injector harness issue, or failing tow haul switch wires, or cluster failure, or pump rub, or tail shaft seal-bushing failure.:noidea:

I have a 2004.5 lly with 235000kms I had a injector wire problem fixed runs great now but now have an clunk in the front end. Does anyone no what it is and how to fix it. Also have an ABS light on onther then that it's a great truck

52,000 trouble free miles, many towing my 9000# travel trailer. Fixed the hot running by replacing the exhaust with a 4" no cat setup, Tx cold air duct kit and a LBZ turbo mouthpiece. The ISS was replaced once and then after that I installed the grease fitting in it and throw a few pumps in every 6 months or so. Only real complaint is the crappy quality of the mini lights in the insturments and switches.

x2 there. Not LLY only though, its that way on all the classic style. my 03 did that too.

I stand corrected,but despite the differece in engine hp I would still prefer to have the 6 speed tranny given the choice.

Same^^.

Only issues I've had so far is the ISS. Never overheat, icepicked the harness the day I bought it, been running like a champ

Back