• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Propane

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
I was looking on greedbay for a propane kit for my truck and came upon this. http://tinyurl.com/5oor9m
I was curious if you could use just any pane kit out there and if there was anything you couldn't use on a 6.5, being idi and all...... I don't think this competes with any of our vendors currently so i'll post the link.

Thanks in advance guys.

Joel

I have read just a bit on propane on the 6.5 and its doable but care should be taken as to how much is used. With the hi compression and the IDI design you get faster ignition / combustion. Too much pane and it can inginte harshly with too much advanced timing. Thus causing nailing and excessive peak cylinder pressure at TDC. Also the injection pulse is more or less old school with no pilot injection on the 6.5. With IDI and the 6.5 it gets a good bit of diesel pop at TDC where as I suspect DI engines and especially newer electronics have pilot injection and better manage cylinder pressure near TDC.

The proportion of pane to fuel is important because the diesel slows the combustion flame front in relation to pane. The more fuel the more pane you can use.

I would be very leary of a generic kit because a DI lower compression with pilot injection can take much more propane. And how its metered and delivered is important. So I would want to know the system is very adjustable or set for the 6.5 specifically.

DOT tanks are expensive by the way. And don't be fooled by the MPG claims the $ per mile is what matters not diesel mpg. MPG would only improve in range between fill ups.

I'm gonna play around with propane on my 18:1 engine when it's completed. Still waiting on the short block(kinda getting scared as to what it's going to cost :confused:)

Heaths got a pane kit or is working on one for the 6.5 engine. Its progressive and boost referenced IIRC.

Yeah, I read the article about it in MaxTorque and it says its safe levels of propane no nailing or danger of over paning the 6.5 and Heath is very knowledgeable about the 6.5.

Kennedy also use to have a modified PowerShot set for the 6.5 I think (I just haven't looked in a while probably still has it).

I would just be skeptical of the generic fit all kits especially if they claim big power gains like this ebay ad said. But depending if you reference an appropriate 6.5 boost and set delivery rate for a 6.5 then ok.

There was a guy on the ....Place down in the Propane forum that had an adjustable system might be an option too Marculea or something like that.

The guy you guys are mentioning is Marc Deluca (marcdeluca over at the newbie page)

his website http://delucafuelproducts.com/

If it were me, (and I entertained the idea of 'pane on my 19:1), I would not hesitate to contact Bill Heath first.

Having progressive control would be a huge plus in my opinion. There are plenty of "whiz-bang" kits out there, -most using the impco regulator, -and/or a combination of impco regulator and solenoid valves and pressure switches, but how it is controlled will determine how smooth the system comes on (which is important if detonation is to be controlled).

Call Bill.

looks to me as if is controlled by boost psi as heath is.....might get it for the 93 as a test for the burb...

Back