• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Process for changing the flex plate?

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
This is a side question from the "Suburban Goes Boom" thread.

I have found (with guidance from you guys) that the flex plate is sheared off around the crank. Crank looks fine. Torque converter looks fine.

As a complete moron on this subject... What do I need to do to gain access to the flex plate bolts so that I can put a new one on?

- Drop tranny?
- Super ninja trick that allows the torque converter to drop out allowing access?
- Screw it have a beer and set the Suburban on fire... Hope insurance covers it. :)

Thanks again for all the help so far on this ellusive problem!

Also anyone have the GM part number for a new flex plate?

Or for a flex plate is it okay to use a used one? Disposable wear item? Or lifetime item usually.

... So far I am the only person to have this problem that I know of.

A trick that I have used before on other vehicles is to use threaded rod to replace a couple of bolts. Make sure the rod has some length to it so you can slide the transmission back enough to get some working room on the flex plate. Use a floor jack to support the transmission and remove the rest of the bolts. Roll the whole assembly back using the floor jack.

As far as using a used or new flex plate, my vote would go to new being as inexpensive as they are. My 2 cents worth.

I found it easier to pull the engine than to pull the trans/transfer case....just my 2 cents from my last go-round with a flex plate...

Chris, you are probably one of the hardest running 6.5ers out there... What flex plate are you running?

FWIW the dealer wants $225 for a new flex plate. If I can figure the PN I can shop a little smarter :)

I drive it like I stole it....all the time...

The only time I have ever had a flexplate crack/break on me was when someone (me) forgot to use locktight on the flexplate bolts and they loosened up on me...it was easier to pull the engine than to drop the trans - if I had a 2 post lift I would consider the trans drop instead....

Thanks for the Advance link! I bet it is a Dorman rebadged.

Here is what I have also found:

Dorman PN# 04340 ($48.79 at rock auto)
GM PN# 14077157 ($133 at gmpartsdirect)

I think I will go with Advance on this one.

Since I do not have an engine lift, it looks like I have to try and drop the tranny a little bit. Arg!

>if I had a 2 post lift I would consider the trans drop instead....<

I have a large floor jack and the paved driveway. Whee!

... Is it worth it to just take into a shop for this type of procedure? What might take me all day could only take them an hour or two with the right equipment? Just a thought.

Thanks!

There are some things in life worth paying a pro to do.....I would never rebuild my own trans for example....

Depends on your mechanical ability, tool availability, and vehicle availability...

After calling my local shop they quoted me $750 for the job. Parts and labor... Granted parts seem to be cheap on this one. 10 hours of time according to the "book".

Does this seem right or BS? 10 hours seems to long IMO.

Any input is appreciated!

Pillow where in VA are you? Their book time is about right but that time is assuming complete removal of tranny from truck. The shop should be able to slide it back about 4 inches and have clearance to remove the flex plate and save some time. Whether the shop chooses to pass that savings on to you is another thing.

I do know I didn't pay close to that much to replace my clutch and I provided the parts.

Update:

I ended up taking the truck to AAMCO for the flex plate swap. It is a good thing too! They found that at some point the PO (or cheap POs mechanic) did an incredibly poor job attaching the tranny to the engine. 2 bolts were holding them together! Ouch! 2 bolts sheared off. And two bolts were MIA.

The mechanic thinks that the tranny and engine were flexing out of allignment and caused the flex plate to snap due to lack of allignment.

Good times! But finally fixed and running smoother than ever... I suspect this has been an unseen issue the whole time we have owned it.

That's the exact same reason my last flex plate broke...as I mentioned earlier...glad its fixed...

Back