• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power steering.

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
I drove a 1998 K1500 few days ago.
Guys, the steering was sooooo sweet :thumbsup:.

I thought, mh, this guy is lucky... Then I had to drive a 1997, and there too, the steering was really sweet and powerful, nothing to compare with my 1996.
Any knows why there's such difference? Is it just a question of power steering pump, or the 1997 and above have an updated power steering system.
If this is the case, can we swap that?

Caster (forward or rearward tilt of the wheels) can give steering differences. Positive caster will give lighter stable feel, where as less positive will be a bit quick to respond and less stable. Caster within limits will not wear tires.

A bicycle has positive caster, if as a kid you ever tried turning the front wheel backwards and riding is a negative caster (or without holding the handle bars), quick to respond but unstable.

Yep - 97+ have assisted steering of some description......waaaay easier than my 95...

Simply put, there is more line pressure available at low speeds, to assist in
parking, etc. GM had some trouble with this system though, fairly common
for you to be going along at 40 MPH or up, cruising around a curve in the
road, and full power suddenly and briefly comes back on, jerking the wheel
sharply (because steering effort is now half what it was) when you least expect it. Makes for some white knuckle moments. :D
Search "EVO sensor" for more on this problem

Did you search EVO sensor?
Stands for Electronically Variable Orifice

EVO Steering

Electronically variable orifice (EVO) steering varies the amount of power steering assist based on electrical inputs to provide the driver with improved road feel at higher speeds, and at the same time providing power assist at lower speeds and during parking maneuvers.

EVO systems utilize information such as vehicle speed, steering wheel position, and steering-wheel turn rate to calculate and deliver optimum assist to match road conditions.

The EVO system uses a solenoid valve attached directly to the PS system pump’s output fitting or the rack and pinion housing. It is electrically controlled by a digital control signal using pulse width modulation (PWM). By varying the amount of "on-time," or duty cycle of the control signal to the solenoid, variable levels of fluid flow and resulting effort levels can be obtained.

Depending on the year and model, the solenoid could be directed by various control modules. A "dedicated" EVO module was used in the earliest versions of this system. Since that time, however, the electronic-brake and traction-control module (EBTCM) has taken over the responsibilities of VES in most GM products.

Vehicle weight, steering design and suspension geometry vary greatly from platform to platform. Seemingly identical cars, with different tire or handling/suspension options, may require slightly different VES behavior. The EVO software is altered to provide ideal assist levels at each speed for this wide variety of vehicles, tailoring the vehicle’s handling "feel" to the car and its intended customer’s preferences. Four or five EVO-module part numbers for the exact same year and model of car are not uncommon.

An enhancement to EVO-VES systems that began to appear in 1992 included a steering-wheel position sensor (SWPS) or handwheel speed sensor (HWSS), depending on the vehicle platform. This sensor has the ability to input steering-wheel position, direction and turn-velocity data into the EVO controller. Using this data, the EVO control module can quickly react to emergency evasive maneuvers. If the driver were to suddenly swerve or change lanes to steer around an object on the highway, the EVO module provides an immediate boost in assist levels, maximizing steering control.

Thank you for all inputs Tookie.
So, as far as I understand, the 1997+ have received this upgrade. I may look on the pump or rack & pinion of these to see if I can find what's different and if I can add an EVO controler...
That could involve may be something a bit complicated...

There was a recall on PS pumps also. Not sure what years but my 2000 k3500 was on the list. Dealer reaplced it at 160k free of charge.

Back