• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

power steering reservoir hose(s) question

sailinstud420

Reaction score
can someone explain to me why the power steering reservoir has lines running to and from the brake booster?

Also - everyone should go look at their truck and inspect for wearing/rubbing on the low pressure line. There is a bolt holding the high pressure line to the reservoir (as i recall without being in front of it...) and the low pressure side comes out very close to that and then takes a sharp bend upwards towards the brake booster. Mine is about worn through, going back to the dealership under warranty. Thanks GM. sweet job.

It's called Hydroboost. Since diesel engines don't make vacuum, it's hard to make a vacuum booster work, so the power steering provides the brake assist.

I think a piece of fuel line zip-tied to the line would help prevent the line wearing through. ;)

These trucks have hydraulic brake boost instead of vacuum (which is not inherent to diesels). The PS pump feeds both. Thanks for the tip too.

on edit: I see Ed and I were replying at the same time.

so power steering provides a constant vacuum then with the fluid moving back and forth? keep explaining.

zip tie would prevent it yes, unfortunately for me its prob already too late. and to me its principal of the matter, that is just a flat out stupid mistake that gm is going to eat.

so power steering provides a constant vacuum then with the fluid moving back and forth? keep explaining.

zip tie would prevent it yes, unfortunately for me its prob already too late. and to me its principal of the matter, that is just a flat out stupid mistake that gm is going to eat.

No, it does not create vacuum to assist the brakes.

The power steering pump provides hydraulic pressure to press on a piston whcih the hydroboost (the thing behind the master cylinder with the PS lines running to it) in turn assists the brakes with. It works very well, however some like to spring leaks.

Back