• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

poor milage

thump

Reaction score
I have a 2004.5 silverado crew cab 4x4. When i bought it already had a banks six gun programer, aftermarket muffler, and 4 " exhaust from muffler back stock from muffler to engine. Running aftermarket 17" American Racing wheels and 315/70/17 bfg tires. Truck has just hit 100k miles and is only averaging 14.3 all around driving or about 16.5 on highway and 11 around town. and that is babying it on take offs and running about 65 on interstate. Is this normal or does anyone have any suggestion. Change oil every 5k miles and fuel filter every 10k. Is there a better tuner or am i just screwed. Any suggestions and information is greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

What level are you running your banks on?

running banks on 3 and its an lly. Will loosing the cat help milage, will it make it alot louder, and will it set off any codes. thanks

running banks on 3 and its an lly. Will loosing the cat help milage, will it make it alot louder, and will it set off any codes. thanks

I think the codes are hit and miss on the LLY's. As far as that cat goes, I would ditch it for sure. It's not going to be alot louder and it should help your mileage slightly.

When you lose the kitty it sounds a little more manly at first and then you don't even notice it really. You do notice a little more turbo whistle and it will spool just a hair faster. All of these things are good IMHO. It will bump up your mileage a little too.....:beer:

If your truck is an FE9 truck, it most likely won't throw a code.

Have you compensated your odometer for the larger tires? If not, your odometer is under reporting your mileage, which causes your mpg's to be higher than you're seeing.

Got an appointment to take cats off and how do you tell if its and fe9. Also i havn't compensated for the bigger tires either so i will do that too. Any other suggestions. Is the banks a good system or do i need to change to something else.

Got an appointment to take cats off and how do you tell if its and fe9. Also i havn't compensated for the bigger tires either so i will do that too. Any other suggestions. Is the banks a good system or do i need to change to something else.

Look at the codes in your glove box. Here's an example from my truck - I've circled the FE9:

FE9.jpg

ok cats off and no codes yet. doing tire reprogram tomorrow. Then we will see how the mpg is with the changes any more suggestions. Thanks again

ok i have codes and truck isn't running the greatest what should i do put the cat back on or what. BTW there isn't a fe9 code in my glove box so what does that mean. thanks. any help would be appreciated.

You will need a code eliminator or a tuner that blocks out the codes. Off the top of my head, I know PPE and EFILive have this option.

Back