• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Plow rigs

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
For all you folks that are into snow plowing in a big way.
I certainly understand the pain that must come with buying a fairly new rig and then watch the Salt just trash the thing in short order.

I have a few acquaintances from the boards that hire out during the winter to plow parking lots and other areas.

One fellow commented recently on the older K5 Blazers being a real "Legend in the snow"

Unfortunately the east side of the country is pretty well barren of the older K5's, at least ones that are in decent shape.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, we dont have salt and we do have rust free rigs.

Here is a link to an ad on craigs list for a lovely K5 that has had 3/4 ton running gear installed.

NO RUST ON THIS SWEETHEART either

Make a Helluva Plow rig and what a great price.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2131755221.html

I sold a 95 Burb to a fellow a few years ago, he was from Kansas city.

He flew in and drove the rig home.
I thought the guy was going to kiss the thing, as he could not believe how clean it was, and no rust.

Just a thought for Y'all

Missy

What a friggin' deal...

It still blows my mind as to how the NW has low to no rust on their vehicles. I mean yeah, we have some serious salt here in Ohio, but the NW has probably triple the precip. And to think the older rigs with no galvanization or other 'rustproofing' to speak of and they last as long as they do.

I think I need to MOVE.

I live just south of Portland about 25 miles in the head end of the Willamette valley.

We get rain up the Ying yang here. Where I live its wet all the time from Late Oct through until June.

The valley is wet but if you go east of the Cascade Mt's to places like Bend, Redmond, Burns and such, its a lot drier.
This area is a High desert region with much drier climate.

Fresh water flying around keeps the mud washed out of the nooks and crannies so it does not get a chance to sit and ROT things out.

My 89 Blazer looks nearly new underneith. The frame still looks pretty much like it came from the factory with the black paint and all.

The early K5's of the 73-75 vintage had some issues of body rot over the rear tires in the outer sheetmetal.

GM fixed this design flaw (to a great degree)
The areas behind the front wheels can still go away if left full of mud.

Just need to keep the drain holes clean is all.

The coastal areas to our west will see more corrosion from the Salt air and such.

The great thing about here is that the summers are not as intense as say Phoenix or other southwest places, so the rubber stuff, seats and dashboards dont wither away.

That K5 for $3500 would be a real deal for someone on the east side that does not mid a plane ride and a drive home.

We really dont see much in the way of rusty rigs here, unless they have come from other places and moved here.

Heck I see such rigs as 55 chevies being driven as daily drivers.
Mid 60's 70's and 80's rigs are very prevalent around here.

There is a local guy who drives his 61 Studebaker pickup every day.

He bought the truck new in 61
The engine has been rebuilt twice that I know of, has the stoody straight 6 in it with a 3 on the tree.

Missy

It still blows my mind as to how the NW has low to no rust on their vehicles. I mean yeah, we have some serious salt here in Ohio, but the NW has probably triple the precip. And to think the older rigs with no galvanization or other 'rustproofing' to speak of and they last as long as they do.

I think I need to MOVE.

No rust but we do have MOSS! That green slimmy crap is on everything. Nothing like buying a white pick up only to have it turn green in just a few years.

John

Back