• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

PDA?

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pocket pc? I DON'T want a blackberry/phone deal, just one that has wi-fi capability so I can check my email when travelling or at school.

I've got a laptop, but usually have my work notebook with me 99% of the time which I can't check personal or school email boxes on because our VPN has all that crap blocked. I sure won't be dragging two computers around either.

Today I was reading reviews on an Asus A626 which basically fits my needs and it's cheap, too. Everyone raves about its battery life and the fact that it serves as a good workhorse basic pda, which is all I need. Even is Bluetooth enabled with a Broadcomm suite.

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=6347

I use the UTStarcom XV series PocketPC's that are offered by Verizon and Sprint. As long as you keep the memory cleaned up they work very well.

What's the biggest SD card available?

I can find a 16G no problem, but if there's a larger one I'd buy it.

currently the max is 32GB, but the theoretical limit is IIRC 2TB, so the biggest-one-out-there really depends on what time of the day you ask it :)

I have an ASUS A696 that I use for mapping work. So far, the battery life has been real good. I can run the unit for most of the day doing GPS work and not have to put it on the charger. The power saver function takes care of the down time between sites.

I ended up going with the Asus A626, basically the same as the A696 but without the GPS. Really happy so far, the battery life IS good and the wi-fi works anywhere in my house which is strange because some people criticized it's wireless range in their reviews. The only complaint I have is that I should have bought a bigger SD card since a 2G fills up in a hurry when you start loading it with music.

Definitely a cool toy that'll come in handy where using a laptop is a pain. I've tried to use a daytimer to keep track of my stuff before and couldn't do it... hopefully this will be better for me in the long run.

Back