• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P0087

RedneckBuckeye

Recruit
Reaction score
It is -8* F with the wind chill -15* and I let the truck warm up before leaving work, got down the road not even half a mile and the check engine light came on. Got home and hooked the PPE up to it and scanned for codes and the P0087
came up. I just filled up with fuel yesterday at a truck stop and put one of the 8oz. bottles of stanadyne performance formula in the tank before filling. The fuel filter has about 11k on it, I know, I will change it after I few hours of sleep,
is it likely the filter?

Is that bottle of Stanadyne the first one you put in? Or do you run it in every tank? If it is only the first one you put in, then I would say it is the fuel filter. If you run Stanadyne regularly, then you could probably go a little more than 11K on the filter.
Stanadyne breaks down the buildup in the tank, and the filter picks it up. It is most likely the filter. Do yourself a favor, and get a pre-filter with a CAT spin-on 2 micron! Much easier to change when needed. And cheaper too!

I run it almost every tank. Tell me more about the pre filter, any kits? I work for CAT so I would probably get the filters cheaper still.

OK I changed the filter reset the code and started the truck, let the truck warm up and took it into town for a test drive, it popped the P0087 again. Should I get some power service 911 and put it in the tank? I run stanadyne performance formula in almost every tank including this one. I filled up from a different truck stop than I normally do.

Are you running a tuner? If you are, it may be the tune calling for more fuel than can fill the rail. Probably just due to the cold making the fuel a little thicker. As long as it runs, just hold out and wait! I also run Stanadyne in every tank and have good results with it. Did you cut your filter open and look at it?

Are you running a tuner? If you are, it may be the tune calling for more fuel than can fill the rail. Probably just due to the cold making the fuel a little thicker. As long as it runs, just hold out and wait! I also run Stanadyne in every tank and have good results with it. Did you cut your filter open and look at it?

I do have a tuner PPE 225 tune, it has never caused a problem before when cold, I have not had time to cut open the filter yet.

Well got it started just 5 minutes ago, I'll let it warm up and see what happens. On a side note my wife's car, I drove to work was dead when I came out of work this morning, got home and my beater jeep started right up, guess I'll have to have more trust in the ol jeep.

You may want to check out and see if your frozen instead of gelled. It appears that with the ULSD, your more apt to freeze then gel. ULSD retains more water in it than the older LSD diesel. That has been much of the case since 2007 or so. Just another thought.

i have half of a tank of this crap fuel and 911, my truck still does not start well, you have to crank on it for a bit to get it to start, almost like my glow plugs are not working, should I top off my tank with good fuel or just run this fuel out. The temperature is now 25* F so I have not been plugging it in , the glow plug delay light comes on, it just seems like the glow plugs aren't working and it has to crank a bit to build heat before it starts.

If there are glowplug(s) that are not working, it will put out the mosquito fog in the form of white smoke until warming up enough on its own.

If it were the glow plugs, I suspect you would get a code for that and a CEL. I would top it off with some good fuel, and try that. It will dilute the "bad" fuel and help out your situation.

Back