• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter relocation

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Well, I think this will be nice to bring here the info I shared on the other place.
Rodd shown us his relocation filter (nice job!), here's the solution I choose : underhood.
I was greatly helped by Franko at the place. Thanks to him!
engine bay.jpg

The bracket is a bit low, so i redesigned it to raise the filters to A/C compressor level for ease of maintenance (you can grab the filters easier that way) : here are the drawns of the redesigned bracket.
Be careful, it is not at scale, I'm not good enough with autocad and draw them with paint.net ):h

Trust the numbers only!

Bracket - front view.jpg Bracket - side view.jpg

here is the adaptor I used (bought from fleabay seller, search for seller tmvtaylor) : it will bolt right at the place of the filter on the stock elbow housing.
DSC00890.jpg

and the fuel filter housing
DSC00892.jpg

the adapter in place with oil lines going up
DSC00473.jpg DSC00470.jpg

and the relocation fuel filter housing in place :
3.jpg

The bracket bolts in place of the stock upper rad hose holder :

DSC00888.jpg

It took a little time to fab the bracket as I had to grind and weld (not a good welder I am), but it's worth the time : now I enjoy by-pass filtration, and I really don't mind changing oil filters :thumbsup:

Looks good! I am trying to trace a leak on mine at the filter. Your fittings are different than mine. Mine is a barb that the hose clamps onto. Yours looks like a female w/ a barb that goes into the hose. I am probably going to switch out to braided lines. Do you happen to know what the thread size is in the filter housing? It looks like 8 npt but I'm not sure.

Looks good never thought of putting one there. Would the filters and lines picking up heat in the engine area be any kind of a problem?

Looks good! I am trying to trace a leak on mine at the filter. Your fittings are different than mine. Mine is a barb that the hose clamps onto. Yours looks like a female w/ a barb that goes into the hose. I am probably going to switch out to braided lines. Do you happen to know what the thread size is in the filter housing? It looks like 8 npt but I'm not sure.
I'm sorry Rodd, I'm not sure either about the size of the threads in the filter housing.
The kit came with several adapters---- but it might be 8 NPT---

Looks good never thought of putting one there. Would the filters and lines picking up heat in the engine area be any kind of a problem?

I don't think. Filters gather heat just because of oil flow and being bolt on the block. In stock location, the filter is between the block and the crossover pipe. Here, it can even be cooled by the air moved by the fan.
About the lines ( I protected mines with 3 lays of heat blanket), I think it would good may be to replace them in 2-3 years, or go to brided ones as suggested Rodd.

Back