• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter bypass leaking

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Okay guy's hopefully someone can help me out here. My oil filter bypass that I just installed is leaking at the oil filters. The hose connections/hose clamps at the block adapter and the filter housing are clean. Facing the installed unit the barbs are on the Left and the right side holes of the housing have plugs in them. I used teflon tape on the barbs and the plugs and they are still white as can be. So the leak either has to be coming from between the filter gasket and the housing or the housing has a crack which I can't see.

Here is a bit more info...On the adapter that goes to the block there is a hole in the center and one on the outside. The center is the in and the outer is the out. So the "in" hose connects to the "out" on the filter housing and the "out" on the filter housing connects to the "in" at the block.

When I first installed it I accidentally had the hoses switched and ran 20 miles w/ no leaks. I then realized my mistake and switched the 2 hoses at the filter housing. Since then I have been leaking at the filters. I thought that the filters failed because I ran them wrong, so I put on 2 new filters and it still leaks. Maybe I should switch them back.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Never mind. The plugs are a large allen so I used my allen wrench to tighten it by had as tight as I could get it. Unfortunately it wasn't tight enough. While looking at the plugs it hit me that the brake caliper removing hex that I have is about the same size. It worked. I set my torque wrench at 28 lbs and there was a lot of movement. Even though the teflon was white when I started tightening it started turning the color of the oil.

Glad you figured it out. I was looking at that system myself, and now you were giving me second thoughts. Glad it wasn't a mfg's flaw. I think that type of setup is the ticket!

Back